You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Google Nik Collection is now free for everyone.

MEB

You can download it no problem, but you will need to agree to all of what I mentioned during install.  I presume you didn't spot this because you're too used to clicking through the legal agreement (which is quite normal for most end users).

I did read the terms & clicked the "Accept" button. The thing is, doing that doesn't send anything to Google, nor does it obligate me to upload, download, share, send anything to or through their services, or otherwise do anything else that would grant Google a license to use, host, store, etc. any of my own content.

Obviously, using any of their services for sharing, hosting, etc. any of my content would indeed grant them the limited rights outlined in the agreement but just downloading, installing, & using this software does not by itself grant them those rights.

Of course, as with all such things, there is a lot of legal wiggle room here, so if it is important enough to be a concern to you, it is always best to consult an attorney familiar with the laws governing IP rights in whatever legal jurisdiction applies to you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I Have managed to successfully install the plug ins - does the defin 2 not work with Affinity?  I keep getting an error message saying that it can't apply it to a separate layer and that I should check to make sure I am not working with a restrictive software version....has anyone else had this?

Hey guys,

thanks for helping me out here!

It was definitely my fault for not fully paying attention to the video.  :rolleyes:

»Plugin Support Folders«-part was the problem – thought it had to be the

same as the plugins folder itself. Everything is working fine for me now.

Cheers and happy editing  ;)

Dennis

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It's working !  :)

Follow strictly the procedure explained in this video if, like me, you install for the first time the Nik collection and you don't have any Adobe product on your Mac.

Thanks, this one helped tackling the "Global Support Required" issue - who would've thought you need to add the system's root directory to the support plugin folder list from that message ;-)

One thing to mention here that would be nice in Affinity: if you come back from any of the plugin edits, would be nice to put the result on a new layer (just like PS does). That would save an unnecessary manual step - or actually a couple of manual steps if you didn't know the edit will end up on the same layer you started from and you've got to undo, copy the layer and re-do the entire Nik edit again...

• 3 weeks later...

It's working !  :)

Follow strictly the procedure explained in this video if, like me, you install for the first time the Nik collection and you don't have any Adobe product on your Mac.

This video is very helpful....  thank you.

However, I am stuck at the step where we add a "go to" folder for the plug in support folder.   The  Shift + Command + G combination  produces the forward slash, but when I click "GO", my computer beeps angrily at me and nothing happens.

Is there another option for adding the support folder?

• Staff

Hi aslusers,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Yes, click the Authorise Global button on the bottom right of the same dialog then press Authorise again from the dialog that will open.

Make sure Allow "Unknown "plugins to be used is checked (on the bottom left of the dialog) and that's all assuming you already have configured the Plugin Search Folders as indicated in the video.

Let me know i you still have trouble.

Hi,

I have still the same problem. I followed the video. Unknown plugins are allowed. I tried global authorisation as well as explicitly using the root folder '/' as plugin support folder. I uninstalled and installed the NIK plugins several times (the current version). I tried to select the "photoshop plugins" folder in "applications" as well as the subfolder "google" as seach folder - nothing helped. The only difference to the video is that I have Affinity Photo V1.4.3 in German localization.

In the meanwhile my test phase ended and I can no longer use the plugins from Affinity Photo. However, I can still use them as standalone applications.

Do you have any other idea? Try again with 1.5 when it is released?

Thanks,

naqoy

I have Photoshop Elements and the Nik Collection is inside the plugin folder (I think).
I have no use for PSE anymore so I plan to uninstall the app. Will this affect the Nik collection inside Affinity in any way?

(I also have Lightroom, but if I remember this right, I couldn't find a Plugin folder for Lightroom).

My technical skills are limited, so please be gentle. ;)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I have Photoshop Elements and the Nik Collection is inside the plugin folder (I think).

I have no use for PSE anymore so I plan to uninstall the app. Will this affect the Nik collection inside Affinity in any way?

I do not trust Adobe's uninstallers so just to be safe, I suggest copying the folder with the NIK collection in it (probably named "Google") to another location before uninstalling PSE. Make a note of where you copy it to so you can change the path in Affinity prefs.

Also, you might also want to copy the Brushes folder (in the Presets folder if it is like the old PSE v9 app I have) to some other location. The brushes in it with the ".abr" extension can be imported into Affinity's pixel brushes. Likewise, there is probably a Textures folder with some jpg texture files you might want to copy for use in other apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you so much, R C-R.

I may have to ask again when I have the time to go through with it. 

I have imported a lot of the brushes from PSE's (you are right) presets folder. If I understand you right they still live in PSE, and that Affinity is just pointing to that location? 

Thanks for the tips about the textures. 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I have imported a lot of the brushes from PSE's (you are right) presets folder. If I understand you right they still live in PSE, and that Affinity is just pointing to that location? 

If you imported them into AD or AP they should be copied to the appropriate "raster_brushes.propcol" file buried in your home folder's Library > Containers folder. If necessary, you can find those files by doing a Finder search on that but you have to add the "System files > are included" search criterion for them to show up in the results.

However, if you are sure you have imported all the ones you want to keep to the raster brushes in each app, I suggest backing up (exporting) each of your brushes categories that includes them from within the apps, using the "Export brushes" item on the four line icon context menu in the Brushes panel. That way, if you ever have to reset the app or the brushes, you can import them again without having to reinstall PSE.

Affinity Photo 

I suggest backing up (exporting) each of your brushes categories

It's probably quicker and easier (or at least less tedious) to copy the Presets folder to somewhere convenient.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Novak,

There's still a few issues but yes it has improved in version 1.5. All Nik Collection plugins run now.

If you are using a Mac you can get more details here (click the plug-in name for details).

Tnx Meb. Nope, windows user here anyways it's great to hear, it would be even better if plug in developers put some effort in making their products compatible with Affinity Photo.

It's probably quicker and easier (or at least less tedious) to copy the Presets folder to somewhere convenient.

In an earlier post I suggested copying just the Brushes & possibly the Textures subfolders from PSE's Presets folder to another location because as far as I know they contain the only Preset items that can be used with Affinity, or for the textures with any app that can open the jpeg files they contain. Together, they account for about 2/3 of the total file size of the Presets folder. I did not see a good reason to waste file space on the other 1/3.

I suggested exporting the Affinity brush categories for another reason: if like me she has edited or renamed any of the PSE brushes in them, moved any to different categories, or deleted any she did not like then it is easier to import them back into Affinity if the app is cleared or brushes reset rather than having to repeat that process from scratch. It is still somewhat tedious because there doesn't seem to be any way to export or import multiple categories in one step.

Affinity Photo 

Hi Novak,

There's still a few issues but yes it has improved in version 1.5. All Nik Collection plugins run now.

If you are using a Mac you can get more details here (click the plug-in name for details).

How do you get them to run?

I have installed them in Photoshop's plugin path (and use them w/o problems in that application). I added Photoshop'S plugin path in Photo's preferences. All of the NIK plugins show up in the menu, but they all run in demo mode only. Except Analog and Color Efex (the 2 I actually want ;) ). In Photo's settings they are marked in red color with "Requires Global". What does that mean exactly? I guess it has something to do with the OS X sandbox stuff. So I used the "Authorise Global" button and added all kind of paths there (Photoshop's plugin path, the "Google" Sub path, even the ".plugin" folders itself, etc.) But no matter what I try Analog and Color Efex won't show up in the menu at all and the other ones all run in demo mode still. :)

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

But no matter what I try Analog and Color Efex won't show up in the menu at all and the other ones all run in demo mode still. :)

This usually means there is some vestige of an older non-free version of one or more of the NIK collection plugins somewhere on your system. NIK help suggests running the uninstaller for each of the separate NIK plugins to prevent this but a) I can't find the link to that right now or to the separate installers/uninstallers & b) it may be necessary to reinstall the older version & then uninstall it to make sure all the older version stuff actually has been removed.

The only thing I can suggest apart from that not-very-helpful suggestion is to download a fresh copy of the free version from https://www.google.com/nikcollection/& see if installing that helps.

Affinity Photo