You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm in the process of figuring out how to transition from Photoshop. A lot of what I do is UI mock-ups, designing icons, etc. I do it mostly with shape layers and layer effects, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to edit shapes and paths in Affinity Photo.

For example, how do I add multiple paths to a shape? In the PSD that I imported, it calls such shapes "compound", and they appear sort of like groups in the Layers window with each path listed separately, but I can't figure out how to create such a group. I have managed instead to create a single shape layer that has multiple paths, but doesn't show up as "compound" in the list.

Also, how do I duplicate a path within a shape? Affinity Photo doesn't seem to know about option-dragging to copy, and copy-paste creates an entirely new layer.

I am not going to pay attention to the way PS shows you things on their UI, but what is it you are trying to achieve? You mention add multiple paths to a shape- when you say path, is it a open path  or a closed path (which to me is now a shape) In PS these paths are shown in the paths palette, which there isn't yet in AP. BTW I agree with PixelPest, you may find all the tools you need in AD alot easier to work with. AP may not have what you're looking for.

• Staff

Hi Uncommon,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To create a compound shape you need to have the (boolean) Operations group visible in the main toolbar: right click on the main toolbar and select Customise Toolbar..., scroll down the button section a little and drag the Operations group to the main toolbar.

post-59-0-11578100-1458832762_thumb.png

To create a compound shape: select two or more shapes, press ⌥ (option/alt) and click on the boolean operation icon you want to perform (add, subtract etc). To add new shapes to the compound simply drag them to inside the compound layer in the Layers panel. You can remove them dragging the shapes to outside the compound layer or simply by deleting them. The small boolean operation icon in the Layers panel in front of each shape on a compound object let's you change the boolean operation for that shape on the fly.

To duplicate paths you can right-click on them on the Layers panel and select Duplicate or simply press and hold ⌘ (cmd) or ⌥ (option/alt) and drag the shape (this will create a new layer with the duplicate). In Affinity all shapes have it's own layer. The difference between the two is that pressing ⌥ (option/alt) will also override the snapping simultaneously (if enabled).

As @evtonic3 suggested for that type of work (layout, icon/UI design etc) Affinity Designer may be more appropriate than Photo.

If I can add a personal recommendation. Because there is such an easy method of going, and continuing a workflow between Designer and Photo through the File Edit with option, you really cannot go wrong by having both Affinity Designer and Photo.  And it is still cheaper than a single competition app.  

There have been many times I have appreciated how easy it is, to continue working from Designer to Photo and visa-versa.  

And it is still cheaper than a single competition app.  

There have been many times I have appreciated how easy it is, to continue working from Designer to Photo and visa-versa.  

There is software that is cheaper than both. And there is software that has additional desktop publishing capabilities and features like auto tracing and searching tools Affinity users are waiting for. Should be easier to work in one app. Of course Affinity is the better choice.  ;)