You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting a group is suddenly selecting individual objects instead

I'm currently getting infuriated with Publisher on Windows 10 which seems to have switched to selecting individual objects within a group rather than the group itself when I try and select it on the page.

I keep trying to move a logo around - which is made up of a vast number of curves contained in a group - but every time I click on it, a curve within the group is selected instead and not the whole group. I have to keep going to the layers panel itself and selecting the group.

I know it's not always been this way as it's only recently started to infuriate me. I could have sworn you had to double-click on the group first before selecting individual items, and a quick search of the Affinity Help says this is indeed the case:

"To select objects (or groups) in a group: Double-click on the object. If the object itself is in a group, the group will be selected first—double-clicking again will select the object."

This is now NOT happening. So, my questions are:

1. Have I inadvertently changed a setting?

2. Having only recently updated to 2.1.1 is this the new default behaviour?

Either way, is it a setting that can be changed? Or is it a bug?

(Note: when I open the same files in Designer, where I am still on 2.1.0, the group/objects selection works as it always did).

Cheers!

You've pointed to the Help for Publisher V1, but it sounds like you're using V2. 

The V2 version will be more helpful, in that case.  https://affinity.help/publisher2/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/ObjectControl/select.html?title=Selecting objects

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

Ah thanks  - I just went for the top Google result for my issue without double checking which version it favoured!

Unfortunately it still doesn't offer any insight as to why I am experiencing this issue only now though and how to change it, and just states:

"With the Move Tool selected, click an object or group on the page to select it" (emphasis mine).

The point is I can no longer select the group on the page, whereas previously I'm pretty sure I could - now I can only select individual objects (unless I start multi-selecting).

Maybe I'm wrong, and Publisher (and ONLY Publisher) has been doing this since Version 2 was released and I somehow didn't notice, but as I say, as it's only recently been driving me to infuriation, it feels like a recent change - either of my own accidental doing (if so how do I undo it) OR it has become the standard behaviour since version 2.1.1 (and so how do I make it NOT the standard behaviour?).

Cheers

39 minutes ago, Jimo said:

Unfortunately it still doesn't offer any insight as to why I am experiencing this issue only now though and how to change it, and just states:

The first part of it explains what's happening. Your Auto-Select setting is wrong for what you want to do.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

Ah yes that's it thanks!

I had already seen the auto-select option and toggled it on/off,  but what I'd failed to notice was the drop down options beside it (and then failed to notice the drop down instructions about it at the bottom of the help page!). 

Anyway, that's what I was looking for. Thank you!