You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 2 years later...

I'm interested in this topic too as I'm partially desperate for TGA file export support and intend to give it a try with self-written plugin for exporting to TGA on windows.

You mentioned the Adobe Photoshop SDK support as still in development.
Could you point out some more information about which version of the SDK will be most likely to work properly (on the Adobe SDK page there are numerous SDKs available).

As already suggested on other threads, is there any documentation about the supported APIs or some sort of compatibility map so I can get a glimpse on what I can expect to use from the Photoshop SDK and what I can most likely expect to fail?

Best regards

Tobias

From a non-programmer point of view, it might be worth looking at which plugins work and which don't and finding out how those were implemented, you might find some common ground. There is a basic plugin compatibility page which might be a good starting point: http://www.miguelboto.com/affinity/photo/plugins-support/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Irmunsul,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Currently Affinity apps only support basic image filter plugins. Any other type of plugins (or plugins relying on automation) are not supported so currently it's really not possible to develop an export plugin for Affinity apps no matter the version of SDK used.

Hello,

thank you both for your fast responses to my questions =).
@MEB: is there any plan for Affinity Photo/Designer to allow broader support of custom plugins, especially for APIs for pixel access?

At the moment I'm stuck with using other tools like GIMP or Krita which themselves are not perfect in regard to TGA file support.

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2019 at 8:59 PM, MEB said:

Hi Irmunsul,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Currently Affinity apps only support basic image filter plugins. Any other type of plugins (or plugins relying on automation) are not supported so currently it's really not possible to develop an export plugin for Affinity apps no matter the version of SDK used.

I'm looking to move from Illustrator to Designer, but export plugin support is essential. Signcut (vinyl cutting software) are willing to create an export plugin for Designer, but they need an SDK to do so.

Been over a year since this topic was first mooted. Is there any ETA for when the Affinity apps will support plugins?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 10:59 AM, MEB said:

it's really not possible to develop an export plugin for Affinity apps no matter the version of SDK used

Is this still the case. I just need to iterate over the layer and export them one by one … trimming alpha if possible. Then save them… with some custom meta data.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Any news about this? I'd like to write a plugin, that can import audio files and convert them to fft-images; And a second plugin that can render audio files from fft-images.

That way I can use affinity to extend my sound-design palette by using visual tools on acoustic material.

With range and resolution parameters for both conversion ways there would be a lot to explore and create.

Maybe even having a "Play" button, to instantly convert the current image to sound and play it - to always have a quick preview as you go.

Mathematically this would be easy, once you've implemented the Fast Fourier Transformation and audio codec.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, tropilio said:

Yes, I also would love to make my own plugin, for example to implement LaTeX equation rendering with the https://editor.codecogs.com/ API...

Hi, please see this thread where Tim from Serif provided some updates in the past week.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 3 months later...

So still no capability for us to develop plugins for Affinity Designer, right? Not just scripting, real plugins. Sad.

architect student (5/10) · designer · developer · geek
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1 / Affinity Designer 2.1.1 / Affinity Photo 2.1.1
Windows 11 Pro #22H2 / Dell G15 AMD Ryzen 5 32GB RAM

4 minutes ago, Lmpessoa said:

So still no capability for us to develop plugins for Affinity, right?

1. You can use Photoshop documentation to create plugins for Photo. Affinity allows a limited subset of the overall PS functions; what you can use in .8bf plugin files when developing for Windows.
  2. Or you can look an OpenSource plugin like G'Mic that works on Windows, to get more information about how to do it.
  3. Or you could build an additional filter to install within G'Mic, using their documentation.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:
  1. You can use Photoshop documentation to create plugins for Photo

Thanks for the reply, but I was speaking more broadly and forgot to mention my intention was to build a plugin (or two) for Affinity Designer, not Photo. Fixed that.

architect student (5/10) · designer · developer · geek
Affinity Publisher 2.1.1 / Affinity Designer 2.1.1 / Affinity Photo 2.1.1
Windows 11 Pro #22H2 / Dell G15 AMD Ryzen 5 32GB RAM

No, nothing for Designer, and I doubt anything beyond Scripting is in the works at this point.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 minutes ago, Lmpessoa said:

So still no capability for us to develop plugins for Affinity, right? Not just scripting, real plugins. Sad.

Depends on the sort of Plugins you want to develop, since Affinity Photo either way only support basic image filter plugins, which in turn will need the Adobe Photoshop SDK. And only Affinity Photo, the other Affinity apps don't support plugins at all.

The lastest Adobe PS SDK AFAI know is the 2021 SDK one, see therefor ...

... which contains links to that SDK.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2