You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher 2 beta - file / recovery file disappeared

Hi

I had 3 files open - 2 named and one unnamed or saved (I know) when I tried to import yet another huge piece of artwork and everything froze.  When I restarted the programme, it asked if I wanted to load the recovery file, which it did for one file, but not the other named file.  Of the unnamed file there was no sign (not so much a problem).  Where would I look for the lost file?

Using Windows 11 Home.  Publisher 2.2.0.1986 (Beta)

When you start the application, you should only be prompted for unnamed files (never saved) that were open when the program crashed.

For named files (saved at some time in the past) you are only prompted when you next try to Open that file.

So I'm a bit surprised at it asking for one of the named files, though perhaps that is due to an interaction with the application Preference to reopen files you were working on when you closed the application.

So, for the other named file, have you tried simply Opening it again?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

It generally asks if you want to open the (can't remember the word) crashed version.  But no, it didn't open the unsaved file at all.  Now renamed...

However, I'm still crashing the software each time I try to place a large (hi def) image in.  Doesn't matter whether the object is placed or linked - it's still just hanging.

image.png.c6ebfdd1e8e2d799a1908e8bfea173d4.png

• Staff

You could have a look in %homepath%\.affinity\Publisher\2.0 (Beta)\autosave and see if you have any files. You can rename them to .afpub and see if you have anything that you can use. If not, I'm afraid there's not much we can do. 

As for the crash, can you attach the file you used?