You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, in the HSL Adjustment what is the function of the color spectrum bar above the Hue shift slider? Can you do something with it. I noticed that it does not change no matter what I do with the hue shift bar below it. Is it there just for reference? Thanks!

Hello alecspra,

I don't know exactly what you mean.

The reasons for effecting nothing could be:

- it is only a black & White layer (Colors are needed)

- the selection isn't correct

- the effected layer isn't active

Or you mean, that there are 2 slide bars.

Yes, the upper one has no function.

In this tutorial I use the HSL-adjustment:

https://youtu.be/fFOjBzKQ1Wo

Ciao Jack

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

From the Affinity Photo Help topic HSL Adjustment:

Why two spectrums for Hue Shift?

The upper spectrum represents pixel colours in the original image, using cyan as a mid-point. This spectrum is not a slider and cannot be adjusted.

The upper spectrum is a reference for the colour shift of image pixels when the lower slider is adjusted. Before adjustment, the spectrums are identical.

If, for example, you drag the slider to the right the green section of the lower spectrum will soon lie under the cyan mid-point. All cyan pixels in the image will now appear green. All other pixels in the image will all shift to an equal degree, e.g. blue will become cyan, and green will become orange.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R,

thank you.

I'm always learning in this Forum with the excellent "Affinity Familiy".

:lol:

Ciao Jack

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

There is a lot of useful info in the Affinity Photo (& Designer) Help ... it isn't always as easy to find as one might like, but just about everything is covered in some detail.

Another nice thing about it is it is provided in multiple languages so you don't have to struggle to understand it if English is not your native tongue.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7