You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff
16 hours ago, jackamus said:

It seems that even you do not see my particular problem as being part of all the other snapping problems. Is there some thing wrong with me that I seem to be the only one who wants to snap guides to handles without the handles disappearing?

Do you not think that it is a good idea for handles to always be visible when moving guides to snap to them?

To me it is logical that if you want 2 things to interact together i.e.guides and handles, that both should be visible at the same time.

I certainly understand your viewpoint - personally I do not think that the bounding box handles need to be visible, provided that the snapping is occurring as expected to the correct location, though as Hangman suggests above;

50 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I guess the obvious option would be to provide a preference that allows the user to show or hide the selection handles while dragging guides

I've included this request within the aforementioned logged issues, however the final decision will be down to our developers and not myself. 

55 minutes ago, Hangman said:

A second issue, which has already been discussed above is the lack of guide snapping when objects are grouped... to position the blue ellipse at the centre of the yellow rectangle, the obvious approach would be to drag a horizontal and vertical guide, position them at the centre of the yellow rectangle and then with snapping enabled, drag the blue ellipse until it snaps to the guides but this appears not to be possible when the yellow rectangle forms part of a group and even with snapping enabled it's not possible to snap the blue ellipse without the use of guides in the same way you can when the yellow rectangle doesn't form part of a group.

Can you please confirm the snapping settings you are using in this example? As I'm not seeing this exact behaviour currently on Windows -

40 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Can you please confirm the snapping settings you are using in this example? As I'm not seeing this exact behaviour currently on Windows -

Hi @Dan C,

This (for me on Monterey 12.6.8) is regardless of the snapping settings...

40 minutes ago, Dan C said:
1 hour ago, Hangman said:

I guess the obvious option would be to provide a preference that allows the user to show or hide the selection handles while dragging guides

I've included this request within the aforementioned logged issues, however the final decision will be down to our developers and not myself. 

Perfect, thank you... :)

Affinity Designer 2.3.1.2217 | Affinity Photo 2.3.1.2217 | Affinity Publisher 2.3.1.2217
Affinity Designer Beta 2.4.0.2294 | Affinity Photo Beta 2.4.0.2294 | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.4.0.2294

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8

On 9/7/2023 at 5:23 PM, Dan C said:

If I then 'drop' the guide over the object, reselect it using the Move Tool and drag the guide again, it will now snap to the midpoint (although still the incorrect location, as covered in point 2).

I think you are misinterpreting the behaviour of the app. There was no snapping to an incorrectly calculated location. This is what was happening: when a guide is being moved, its initial position is a snap target during the move and you were re-snapping the guide to its initial position (where it had been dropped a moment earlier).

First you dropped the guide near a desired location - the midpoint of an edge of a rotated object's Base Box - where there was no snap target. Remember, Regular Bounds, not Base Box, provide snapping targets when moving anything except a Transform Origin*.

Then during the subsequent moving of the guide, it was snapping to its initial position.

*  A Transform Origin can be snapped to nine points of a Base Box and nine points of Regular Bounds - each corner, each midpoint of an edge, and the centre. A Transform Origin itself isn't a snapping target, though, so a workaround for snapping arbitrary things to the midpoint of an edge of a rotated Base Box is thwarted.

On 9/8/2023 at 12:36 PM, Hangman said:

This (for me on Monterey 12.6.8) is regardless of the snapping settings...

Your snapping candidates was set to "All layers", which prevents the objects inside a Group from being considered for snapping.

Dan's snapping candidates was set to "Candidate List", which allows objects inside a Group to be considered for snapping.

Somehow I believe that there is something fundamentally wrong with how guides and snapping works. It not as intuitive as I would have expected. There are too many different setting and procedures which can either switched 0n or Off or playing around with layers in order to get it to work in a particular way.

I would suggest that there aren't that many AD users who know all the different ways to use AD. That is why I'm looking for a vector app that is more intuitive and meets the needs of a low level vector drawing artist.

Maybe its my age but I have the same problem with Smart phones and modern car control systems. They all have far too many options, settings, choices and gears!

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

18 minutes ago, lepr said:

Dan's snapping candidates was set to "Candidate List", which allows objects inside a Group to be considered for snapping.

While that is true up to a point, all Candidate List is doing is limiting the snapping 'range', it also relies on pre-selecting the candidates and the number of candidates set (maximum 20). The fact that Candidate List does allow snapping to objects in a Group, highlights what I would consider to be a bug, i.e., Candidate List isn't or shouldn't be a prerequisite for snapping to objects in a Group.

My assumption (rightly or wrongly) is that snapping candidates should work for All layers in a Group rather than only Specific layers in the same way it works for All layers in a Layer (Capital 'L').

Affinity Designer 2.3.1.2217 | Affinity Photo 2.3.1.2217 | Affinity Publisher 2.3.1.2217
Affinity Designer Beta 2.4.0.2294 | Affinity Photo Beta 2.4.0.2294 | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.4.0.2294

1 hour ago, jackamus said:

That is why I'm looking for a vector app that is more intuitive and meets the needs of a low level vector drawing artist.

On Mac you could give a try to Linearity Curve, ex-Vectornator, quite similar in its interface to Apple's iWorks suite, easy to use and understand but definitely not suited for advanced technical design. 

Affinity Suite 2.3.1 – Monterey 12.7.2 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

5 minutes ago, Oufti said:

On Mac you could give a try to Linearity Curve, ex-Vectornator, quite similar in its interface to Apple's iWorks suite, easy to use and understand but definitely not suited for advanced technical design. 

Thanks for the info I'll give it a try. What about Inkscape?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

3 minutes ago, jackamus said:

What about Inkscape?

I prefer to use Affinity Design instead. 

Affinity Suite 2.3.1 – Monterey 12.7.2 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

2 hours ago, jackamus said:

That is why I'm looking for a vector app that is more intuitive and meets the needs of a low level vector drawing artist.

"Intuitive" and "low level" may be individually different. Often an app turns to feel more intuitive when its user gets familiar with it.

According to your examples which appear technical (rather than free/artistic) it may be more interesting for you to look for a CAD application. Apparently there exists a range of apps below the 'fully professional' (and quite cost intensive) tools for architects & engineers … quite likely with the advantage of additional features (e.g. auto-measuring). For instance …

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/simplecad/id641676880?mt=12

https://www.3dsourced.com/3d-software/best-free-cad-software-for-mac/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1 only

While that is true up to a point

My message was true and it explained the thing that puzzled you: Dan was able to snap to a member of a Group while you were unable to do that. Some people would show a little gratitude.

it also relies on pre-selecting the candidates and the number of candidates set (maximum 20).

Pre-selecting is unnecessary, and for your situation (snapping to one specific object in a Group) I would use 1 (although any quantity would work) as the number of candidates along with enabled candidate highlighting (purple outline). In the video below, notice how I hover for about a quarter of a second over the yellow object to nominate it as the only snapping candidate.

41 minutes ago, lepr said:

My message was true and it explained the thing that puzzled you: Dan was able to snap to a member of a Group while you were unable to do that. Some people would show a little gratitude.

There was no lack of gratitude, I get your point and yes, when 'Candidate list' is the selected snapping option it does indeed work 'assuming' your cursor is directly over the respective object, so thank you for highlighting!

The point I was trying to make was in relation to dragging guides and snapping to objects in a Group (I should have made that clearer). If your cursor is outside the bounding box of the object or group of objects when dragging a guide having 'Candidate list' selected makes no difference., hence 'up to a point'.

Logically, having All layers selected should still permit snapping when objects are grouped in the same way it does when objects form part of the same Layer (Capital 'L'), i.e., it shouldn't be necessary to select a candidate for snapping to work when objects are grouped leading to the question, is this by design or is this a bug?

2 hours ago, Hangman said:

Logically, having All layers selected should still permit snapping when objects are grouped in the same way it does when objects form part of the same Layer (Capital 'L'), i.e., it shouldn't be necessary to select a candidate for snapping to work when objects are grouped leading to the question, is this by design or is this a bug?

Certainly, I see that the wording of "All layers" (ignoring the use of the word layers to refer to entities that specifically are not Layers, LOL) is misleading, given the current behaviour of not considering the "layers" inside of a Group.

• Staff
21 hours ago, Hangman said:

I agree, and I cannot see a clear reason as to why these objects in the Group are not used as snapping candidates in your example with All layers selected - I'm getting this logged with our team now :) 

44 minutes ago, Dan C said:

agree, and I cannot see a clear reason as to why these objects in the Group are not used as snapping candidates in your example with All layers selected - I'm getting this logged with our team now :) 

Hi @Dan C, thanks for the confirmation and for logging, very much appreciated...  :)