You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please add "Inset Path" feature to AD

A-Patchy Arrows pattern-2.epsWe design quilt patterns and the Inset Path feature in Freehand has been invaluable. Once a pattern is designed we then pull out the individual pattern pieces and add a 1/4" seam allowance using the inset path function. For example, for a triangle pattern piece, I clone that triangle, go to inset path, input 1 step, Uniform, an inset of -0.25, and a rounded miter... and voila, I have a uniform 1/4" seam allowance added to the triangle pattern.

I'm attaching an eps file exported from a Freehand 7 file so you can see what I'm talking about (we just made the sudden and dismaying journey from Mac OS X 10.4.11/Classic to El Capitan).

Anyway, am pleading for this feature to be added to Affinity Designer!

• 2 years later...

Yes, an inset path feature would be extremely nice. In fact, if you wanted it to be dynamic like Affinity seems to be based on, Inkscape had a dynamic offset/inset feature that worked nicely. However, an. option to keep angles the same instead of rounding them would be nice as well.

However, you could probably achieve the same effect using the curves of an object (Make a duplicate, make the curve, expand it and then add/subtract it from the original shape) but it takes quite a while to do...