You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pretty much every time I edit "large" pixel size files like the last one at  300 DPI for 200cm x 100cm ( 24000 px x 12000px) I am experiencing some serious lags and freezing problems with bluring tools or content aware tools (inpainting brush)

For example if I try using swirling bokeh  (AP video tutorial ) on a file this size, my MACPRO will regularly lag for minutes and freeze at the impainting stage.

It is very annoying because I am definitely not going back to photoshop but I must admit that for large files it is a better working horse, for creativity AP is unbeatable but you do have a file size issue frm my experience. I have tried changing the performance settings but to no avail. Please be clear on what should be done with settings!!! I have read various contradicting interpretations on the forum...use OPEN GL ONLY ... USE OPEN GL AND GPU...USE ONLY GPU  :(

I doubt that it is an hardware issue as I am working on a MACPRO six core 64GB with an AMD FIREPRO 300 graphic card. Only Ap running....

Here goes a link to the file I am mentioning:  note that this a jpeg file dowloaded from the hubble telescope site online. Would the same file raw make a difference.... 

https://www.hightail...ld0FoMlhOUjhUQw

Cheers and thank you again

ON MACPRO  FREEZING AND LAGGING (INFAMOUS SPINNING APPLE PIZZA) IS A REGULAR ISSUE WITH THE BLUR FILTERS. REGULAR  NIKON D 810 FILES

I downloaded the file and opened it in AP. I am running an old 2009 Mac Pro 2.66 Quad with 8Gigs of RAM and I get pretty good results as far as speed. Although I am inpainting small areas and tried a live filter. The performance was good with hardly any lag. Sure there a little waiting but I wouldn't consider this lag. Take a look.

Starfield.mov

fmlfoto,

This is the third time you have started a new topic about the same issue, each time with more or less the same info. You don't need to do that -- just add a new post to the existing one to "bump" it back to near the top of the list. This will save us all the effort of trying to figure out which topic is the best one to follow or contribute to.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

fmlfoto,

This is the third time you have started a new topic about the same issue, each time with more or less the same info. You don't need to do that -- just add a new post to the existing one to "bump" it back to near the top of the list. This will save us all the effort of trying to figure out which topic is the best one to follow or contribute to.

sorry about that posting issue just a bit frustrated on not getting any answers on this problems with the stability of AP ( freezing and lagging). I have wrote several times in the past on the issue and I cannot get a definitive answer on how to avoid these problems If at least someone from the staff could answer on what is the best performance settings witth different hardware setups ??? . Why give the option to use GPU and in what case would you recommend using it??? what the point of resetting at startup (control start) and when should it be done???

Hi - downloaded your photo and using the inpainting tool on an area took about ten seconds on my Early 2008 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Core2 Duo, 4 Gigs Ram.  Earlier threads have pointed to corrupt fonts possibly causing issues like this, try using the Font Book app to check your fonts.

thanx Donato I have cleaned fonts already. what needs to be clear is that in my experience AP as great and superior to PS as it is is not stabilized yet. Once in a while for no apparent reasons it will just go into spinning mode. PS used to go a lot into spinning mode but it seems like Adobe stabilized it for most of the time. I hope Seriff is on the same path!

thanx Donato I have cleaned fonts already. what needs to be clear is that in my experience AP as great and superior to PS as it is is not stabilized yet. Once in a while for no apparent reasons it will just go into spinning mode. PS used to go a lot into spinning mode but it seems like Adobe stabilized it for most of the time. I hope Seriff is on the same path!

fmlfoto,

Considering that several of us have mentioned in one or another of your topics about this issue that we do not see the same lengthy lags you do, even on theoretically much less powerful Macs, that suggests one of two possibilities:

1. There is something wrong with your system, either with the installed software or with the hardware, or

2. There is a bug in the app that only affects certain Mac models or configurations, for example your MacPro with the AMD Firepro 300 graphic card.

It might be helpful in determining which (if either) of these is the problem if you would post the complete specs of your MacPro, including which AMD cards are installed & how much onboard memory they have, the version of your graphics driver software, the OS version installed, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

cool I will post the exact specs when I am back at the office! will try reinstalling AP all together and see what happens. some of this files could be problematic being highly compressed jpgs or tiffs from the Hubble nasa site. the original is usually a huge composite files from dozens of very detailed files. the compressed file is still very good but maybe limited, awkward for edition in AP. what do you reckon? cheers

Another useful troubleshooting trick is to create a new user account with no modifications and see if you have the same problem there, that will tell you if it is a system-wide problem or is specific to your normal user account (corrupt preferences, or other odd things with your account).