You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher

It would be really useful if Affinity Publisher could export text/document  files in an Open Format such as *.odt so that all the formatting, including foot-notes/end-notes are retained rather than the current Serif propriety xml *.sst.

Yer I'm not sure why you do that? virgin copy is usually imported from a word file then formatted ready for print, so usually you would have all the copy to begin with.

Im not even going to mention footnotes... I completed a book so heavy with footnotes last year that it drove me to the edge of insanity  :wacko:

• 6 months later...

I (have to) use text export as my publisher likes a separate text file (presumably for type-setting?).  Loosing footnotes leaves the x-ref numbers hanging orphaned in the rtf text file.  If it were in a WP file their relevance would be more apparent.

It's also a clean way of backing up the "smart" text if (when?) the DTP software corrupts the master file.

• 3 months later...

I (have to) use text export as my publisher likes a separate text file (presumably for type-setting?).  Loosing footnotes leaves the x-ref numbers hanging orphaned in the rtf text file.  If it were in a WP file their relevance would be more apparent.

It's also a clean way of backing up the "smart" text if (when?) the DTP software corrupts the master file.

I'm with MikeW on this. Why aren't you just using a word processor to create your manuscript from the get-go? You're going about this the wrong way. Your publisher is going to do all the typsetting, so there is no reason for you to be doing any. They're not wanting you to send a separate file format for the fun of it, they're asking you to send the correct file format.

If you don't already have it, I recommend you download and install LibreOffice, create your manuscripts in that, save it in whatever format is preferred by your publisher, and leave the typesetting to them. You will save yourself a lot of completely unnecessary work and headaches.