You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Stroke path with brush? (is it possible AP?)

post-12456-0-16648900-1458489147_thumb.jpgI don't find this in the help. But how is it done stroke a line with a brush in Photo ? Not sure how the texture line tool works it doesn't do any thing when selected.

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

I actually know nothing whatsoever about AP or AD other than they look like a pretty good contender to eventually break the Adobe monopoly over the software I need to use to make a living. Like all people who have been in this industry for a while and using the same software for 20+ years. You build up a tried and tested set of workflows and techniques. Changing is hard, changing costs you time and money so we try to make the transition from one to another as seamless as possible. Having the same but improved tools sets with extra goodies makes the process a lot easier for people who are already running and simply don't have the time to stop and relearn.

Running a brush along a vector path is quite a simple tool which has been around a long time in PS. There's no point me making the jump to AP until simple things like that have been included. I would then happily spend the next few months becoming accustomed to the new ways that AP does what it does.

Edit in command sounds interesting, but being in the file menu suggests to me that it means coming out of AP to edit your file? Even if that is easy I just need to run a brush along a path in my photo editing app. The process doesn't need to be complicated. Just select a path and a brush press a button and boom. Preferably exactly the way PS does it, but in AP. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I would really like this feature implemented as well.

I use it a huge amount when I'm doing the final stages of an artwork when I'm cleaning up all the lines and making everything look smooth.

A super important feature to not overlook is "simulate pressure". This is a feature in Photoshop's implementation that basically taperes the thickness of the line on either end of the path.

When I'm at the inking stage of my artwork, I draw a line with the pen tool, left-click, select "stroke path" and it strokes the path using my current brush settings (which includes "simulate pressure").

I can't fully make the switch to Affinity without this feature :(

On 3/22/2016 at 9:59 PM, PixelPest said:

Why not doing this in AD then instead?

Using a Curve as a path along which any brush-based tool can be stroked is not the same thing as AD's Vector Brush Tool.  For example, think how quickly and simply a two node Curve object can be made to closely match the catenary curve of a power line ruining the sky in a photograph, and then you just tell the Inpainting Brush Tool to use that Curve instead of your mouse/pen/finger movement.

Dan503  -- just asked the same thing myself -- though I called it a 'length' option on a variation on a brush -- which would be simulated smooth pressure variation over the length of a stroke.

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

22 hours ago, Dan503 said:

When I'm at the inking stage of my artwork, I draw a line with the pen tool, left-click, select "stroke path" and it strokes the path using my current brush settings (which includes "simulate pressure").

Sorry I meant right-click. As in the click that brings up the context sensitive menu.

I usually assign it as an action though to avoid the fiddliness of the right-click menu.

So all I have to do in Photoshop is create the path, press F4 (or some other key) to apply a clean brush stroke, then press the delete key to delete the path. Super fast and easy.

I need to draw hundreds of these lines when doing the inking. I don't have time to be fiddling around switching between two programs for every single line. It is something that takes me 2 seconds in Photoshop to do.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat - I've spent much time searching for a way to apply texture to an object without using a stroke. Unsuccessfully so far.

Whereas a search for how to do this in Adobe PS yielded the answer in the first video I found.

BTW, I doesn't seem to matter if using Designer or Photo. Neither of them have that function below the layers panel. If it's elsewhere, I yet have to find it.

5 minutes ago, Fruitbasket said:

I'm in the same boat - I've spent much time searching for a way to apply texture to an object without using a stroke. Unsuccessfully so far.

Perhaps: Apply a bitmap fill to the object using the Gradient Tool, using an image file containing the texture you want?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, Fruitbasket said:

Thanks for your input, Walt. Wouldn't that be using texture inside a mask? But then the edges aren't textured. I know how to put texture inside objects/masks. But not how to make their edges textured.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by having a textured edge but no stroke, then. (And the post I replied to talked about applying texture to an object; you didn't say "object edge" :) )

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...