You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi There,  as a new iMac user, I have downloaded a trial of affinity photo ( before I buy it ). One of the things I would like to do is make up digital scrapbook pages, adding backgrounds, photos ,text and embellishments to a page does anyone do, this or have seen any tutorials for this please ? I know there are lots for PSE but I like this software as it has a lot more capabilities.

Thank you Janita

I can not speak to specific tutorials for the scrapbooking. Since both Affinity Photo and Designer are pretty new products it may be hard to find tutorials that are so specific. I would suggest you look at Affinity Designer as it seems to be more appropriate for the tasks you describe. You can place photos, it has a more options for creating decorative text, and creating vector or raster "embellishments". Also I would imagine that once you got to know either Designer or Photo, the tutorials that are out there for other programs like Photoshop Elements or Illustrator, would be adaptable to Designer or Photo, as they work similarly for many tasks. Check out the tutorials section of this forum for many short videos that will relate to the kinds of things you want to do and it will help you decide which product, or both, is right for what you want.

Janita,

What software have you been using before?  

I assume you are used to starting from scratch yourself with Digi Kits as opposed to quick pages where you simply insert your own photos?

One of the first things to help might be starting with the Media Browser (ctrl+shift+M)  You can add the folder where you have your kits by right-clicking in the top and choosing ADD.  Then you can browse through your assets and simply drag an item into the page.  (you can do the same from Finder also)

A lot of the shadows and other effects are under the tab EFFECTS (Make sure EFFECTS shows by ticking View / Studio / Tools)

I think you will find the software very easy to learn, whether you are just beginning with digi scrapbooking, or have been at it awhile - just a matter then of learning different methods.  I have found that AD is very easy to learn - you don't have to stumble over the more difficult things as you look for the basic options.

A lot of the tutorials from other software (PSE, CorelDRAW) will be relevant as far as learning what you can do, and the basic process.  What will differ will be terminology, location, and what abilities each software has.

Hope that helps some, and happy scrapping!

Janita,

Another thought is that there is a LOT of help available on the forum if you are looking how to do something specific - it just won't necessarily be in terms of scrapbooking.   (whether it's adding a shadow, putting an image into a shape or block of text, making something look 3D, etc.)  You'll find a lot of help, and helpful people here.

• 1 year later...

Thank you so much Busenitz!  I too was looking for tutorials about digital scrapbooking in Affinity.  I use to use Serif's Craft Artist Professional on Windows but since changing to a Mac, that wasn't really an option.  I didn't know about Media Browser and that's going to help so much!!!!

use to use Serif's Craft Artist Professional on Windows but since changing to a Mac, that wasn't really an option.

Although many people use PSE for scrapbooking, I second jmac's recommendation that you look at Affinity Designer rather than Affinity Photo. In case you didn't know, CraftArtist is based on DrawPlus, which (like Affinity Designer) is essentially a vector drawing application but with some image-handling capabilities included.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 months later...

I know this post was in 2016, but I have digitally scrapbooked inside of Photoshop and Photoshop Elements for years, and I am excited to let all digital scrapbookers know that Yes you can certainly use Affinity Designer to digital scrapbook perfectly. You can open all your files  to build your pages by using file place, add elements and pictures the same way, and use the beautiful text included in AD when done export to jpg and done or PSD, in addition something Elements does not do at all is spell check, yes AD spell checks as you type, and you can apply the shawdow effects to make elements look real , works fast are inside the fx effects like elements but works faster, and better like Photoshop, last when adding the quick pages kit, you have to click file open to open the quick pages you won't see the png cutout so file place the elements, then select each layer and perform a clipping mask to place your pictures and papers in each layer, also changing the colors of your elements to work with pages can be done in  second by selecting the elements, go the the color palette and choose the color and ta-dah its done, paper you have a hue saturation in the adjustment layers to change the colors, works excellent, and if you need to clean up your photos or make teeth white or eyes, click on the pixel persona, no need to leave the software to do it at all since pixel is built into the program except the healing tool for spot correction but it does have composting and mask options just without the refine button inside the Pixel persona, but all my pictures are done mostly in Lightroom since I just like to scrap and not correct photos. I have not done the scrapping in Affinity Photo, but since it works like Photoshop and has more photo editing tools and compositing, I am sure these techniques can be applied. Thank you Affinity for making my life easier, and for making this excellent software.  Happy Scrapping Lisa 2017

Lisa Hawkins