You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying and pasting within the same 'Curves' layer, or combining individual curves into one set.

I brought an eps file into Designer which has several shapes inside one layer (which is being described as 'Curves' in the layer menu).  There was one shape that I wanted to copy and paste into the same set of curves, so that the file retains one set of curves, but I can't find a way to do that.  Every time I go to paste the shape, it creates a new separate layer called 'Curve'). At the very least, I know that merging the layer called 'Curve' and the layer called 'Curves' into one would achieve the same desired effect, but I can't find a way to do that, either.

So to use the nomenclature of Designer, combine a separate 'Curve' - to a pre-exisiting set of 'Curves', to make one 'Curves'.

Designer clearly supports having multiple curves inside one set of curves, but I'm not seeing an obvious menu item or contextual menu to make this happen. I want to do this without using layers - just combine all curves into one set.

If someone could point me into the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

From what I can tell, in Affinity Designer the only way to make a "Curves" layer is to apply the Boolean (Geometry) operations "Add" or "Combine" to two or more "Curve" or geometric shape layers & for the former only when adding non-overlapping objects. But you can select a "Curves" layer & one or more other object layers & use the "Add" or "Combine" operators to make one new "Curves" layer.

However, a "Curves" layer can have only one set of properties like stroke & fill color, stroke width, etc. applied to everything in it, so it is not as flexible as a group of individual objects. (You can combine several objects into a "Group" layer by selecting them all & pressing cmd+G. A Group layer is the AD equivalent of a set of items.)

To revert a "Curves" layer into individual objects, you can try using the "Divide" boolean operation, but depending on what they are & how they are arranged, that may not work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7