You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frame Columns

Well, I understand that whether to implement this feature in Designer or not is mainly marketing decision, but maybe it will help when I tell you I'm going to buy Publisher regardless the Designer has columns or not. I'll be just happier to do it when in Designer has them too  ;) 

• 1 year later...

Hey, any update on the text columns in AD? I think this feature is useful for many Designer users and I'd love to see it added. :)

Compatibility between Publisher and Designer sounds great, I love how it works between Photo and Designer now. But wouldn't limiting the column feature (or similarly other typesetting features that are often present in graphic design software) to Publisher mean that everyone who wants to use it should buy another app?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that making software like AD requires a lot of effort and skill and I think you guys are doing an amazing job. I just think there are many use cases for this particular feature for Affinity Designer and it should be included. 

But wouldn't Publisher be a better tool for producing those websites?

I can't say for sure until I've tried Publisher  ;). I thought Publisher was more aimed at making books, magazines and multipage publications, while Designer aims at designing logos, general drawings, icons and interfaces.

Do you think Publisher would be the tool of choice for webdesign?

In any case, I think Affinity Designer is by far the best tool for designing websites on the market right now, and I hope Designer will keep on trying to correspond its features with the latest developments in HTML and CSS.

• 3 years later...

This is the mistake that Adobe makes and where Affinity could have a competitive edge - if it chooses not to follow Adobe's leadd. The reality is most people designer posters and simple print pieces in Adobe Illustrator or Affinity Designer, not InDesign and Publisher. Those tools can be useful for very long documents like books and newspapers, but they're far too limiting to to be useful for most design. Text columns and threading aren't cumbersome or difficult tools to produce - just include them in the Designer application and you'll outcompete Adobe. Doing the same dumb things Adobe does isn't going to win converts.

Forcing people to switch excessively between applications is a huge hassle. Serious designers need to mix and match textures, type and images seamlessly. Affinity Designer's superior raster and masking tools give it an advantage over Illustrator and it's why I'm giving it a chance. But finding out that Affinity is not following this strategy across the board makes me want to just back to Adobe products, since at least I know them already.

Rob, if you have both Publisher and Designer, you can use the Designer persona from within Publisher, so you won't need to switch between apps as often as you may think. You can also use the Photo persona in Publisher if you have the Photo app installed. We didn't want to talk about this in public before Publisher was released, but now we can. We think it is brilliant.