You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No recent documents to open

EllenK

Hi I'm using Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8 and installed Affinity suite 2.1.1 a week ago. Since that time I saved a lot of files I edited or made, but none of them appears in Open recent documents. I saved the Affinity file as well as the exported file but none shows up in my recent file list. They only show up in Affinity Photo, but not in Designer or Publisher. Do I do something wrong? in the V1 Designer all my documents were found in the recent document list. 

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-03 om 13.58.37.png

You may have set Recent to None in the Mac OS System Preferences. Some applications can override/ignore this setting, others honour it. Go to the System Preferences (or Settings(?) in the newer OS) and check the General tab.

ScreenShot2023-08-03at6_51_58AM.png.1d9eed0b5b43011f0da819fef28e6ec2.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.2 
Affinity Designer 2.3.1 | Affinity Photo 2.3.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.3.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @EllenK,

2 hours ago, EllenK said:

They only show up in Affinity Photo, but not in Designer or Publisher. Do I do something wrong

As I understand it, the 'Open Recent' list is application specific, meaning you will only see the files listed in Affinity Photo for the documents opened in Affinity Photo directly - you won't see these documents appear in the Designer or Publisher lists.

Are you only directly opening your documents within Affinity Photo, hence this is the only app with entries in the Open Recent list?

• Staff

I understand, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to answer my question - are you opening your files directly within Designer / Publisher, or are you only opening them directly within Affinity Photo and then using the, for example, 'Edit in Publisher' command to transfer the file between apps?

If the latter is true, and you are only directly opening files within Affinity Photo, you will only see documents appear in the Recent list within Affinity Photo.

• Staff

My apologies if I am not being clear enough - I understand what you hope to achieve but you are yet to confirm if you have previously been opening documents in Designer or Publisher directly? If you are yet to open any documents in Publisher or Designer directly, these Recent lists will appear blank.

Hi Dan C, thanks for your reaction. No I want open Publisher files I worked on earlier with Publisher, Designer files in Designer. The files that show up in Photo are edited or made in Photo. 

I opend several publisher files in Publisher 2 and saved them, when I want to re-open them in Publisher I have to choose Open file, because in Open recent none of my earlier opened and edited files will show up. 

• Staff
4 hours ago, EllenK said:

I opend several publisher files in Publisher 2 and saved them, when I want to re-open them in Publisher I have to choose Open file, because in Open recent none of my earlier opened and edited files will show up. 

Thanks for confirming that for me - in that case I'd recommend deleting the mru.dat file for Publisher / Designer to resolve this.

Please see the steps outlined in the below post on how to achieve this:

Once you've deleted the mru.dat file for both Publisher and Designer, restart your mac and then try opening your documents in Publisher/Designer once again. Hopefully you should find that the Open Recent list now works as expected for you :)

thanks for the tip, it sounds like this is the solution, but.... there is no Affinity Designer 2 folder in my Application Support. None Affinity file... 

When I search in Finder at mru.dat it doesn't find anything. Searching in Spotlight brings me to the internet... 

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-04 om 18.49.33.png

You seem to be looking in ~/Application Support/Affinity Designer 2/ instead of ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer 2/ as shown in the instructions.

From what I've read, ~/Library/ is a hidden folder, so you have to browse for it a bit differently, and follow the instructions in that post quite carefully.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

Well, in fact, there are many Bibliotheken (= Libraries). — One general (at the root of the volume, for all users), one in and for the System, and one for each user (hidden in his user's folder). 

According to her screen capture, @EllenK is in the general library but she has to go in /Gebruikers (= Users)/Her_name/Library, which is hidden by default. 

So — as written in the above link — an easy way to find it is to:

• Hit cmd-Space to open Spotlight search field,
  • Paste in the following path: 

• ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer 2/
  • Then choose and open the indicated folder (not any other result, as a Safari link…). 
  • Inside this folder, delete the mru.dat file. 
Edited by Oufti
Explaining the many macOS libraries

Affinity Suite 2.3.1 – Monterey 12.7.2 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

• 2 months later...

I was encountering the same annoying issue. This solution I followee may or may not be as useful (or correct) for all MacOS! I'm running Ventura 13.6 on an iMac

I exited Pub 2, located mru.dat and renamed it mru.dat.old (just in case I needed to retrieve it) and then opened Pub2, loaded and then saved/closed a pub 2 document and exited Pub2 again. I did not try just closing the document.

Then I opened Pub2 for a second time, looked at "Open Recent" and the document list was no longer empty (only showing the last file though).

I then opened Pub2 App'n Support via the Library and found a new mru.dat file as well as the old, renamed one which I've now deleted.

Loading a document via Finder works also (it appears in the list immediately) so it seems to be irrelevant how the document is loaded into Pub2.

It seems there is no need to re-boot the machine. Hope this helps. Sorry about all the I's.

Next stop: sorting Photo2 & Designer2