You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I have an iMac 5k mid 2015. After developing Raw file photos and work on them in photo persona after some working steps AP becomes incredibly slow leading to lags, which does not allow to work properly eg. even only clicking on the drop down menu for the blend modes needs loading time only to show the menu. Further, changing the blend mode takes 20 seconds instead of "realtime". I have already went through everything with apple support but only working with AP boosts CPU usage to 350%. Therefore a hardware issue can be excluded.

Is anybody facing the same problems, respectively more important has a solution for me ;)

Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the fast reply. I am only using 1 live filter (Gaußsch). It's starting after some layers and getting worse and worse. It's with all files I am working with and converted from Raw. Photos have been done with Eos6d (5202x3465px). eg 1 Background layer (=photo), 1 live filter, 1 HSL, 1 black&white layer, 1 graduation curve, and two selections painted. Therefore not really an exhausting one.... 

The strange thing is, performance on my weaker macbook air is much better (with the same photo)

• Staff

Hi Konkoeni,

Can you please reset Affinity Photo and check if the issue persist? Press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the app from Launchpad, then select Clear from the dialog that will open.

If it still gives you issues with the file, create a new user account and check if the runs properly with the same file.

The strange thing is, performance on my weaker macbook air is much better (with the same photo)

Assuming this occurs with a lot of different photos, that suggests something is not right about the more powerful iMac. I assume Apple Support already had you try the following, but just in case they did not, here is a list of time-honored troubleshooting steps:

• Run Disk Utility's First Aid on the startup drive.

• Restart in safe mode, then restart normally. (This clean out some system & user caches that might have been corrupted.)

• Reinstall Affinity Photo. (To do this, move the app to the trash & open the Mac App Store to the Purchased tab. Locate AP in the list & click the Download button.)

• Create a new, temporary user account & log into it at startup time. If the lags & stalls do not occur with that user, you know something in your normal user account is the culprit. Otherwise, it is a system level issue.

• Download & run EtreCheck, a free diagnostic utility that gathers & reports tons of information about the software on your Mac. Look for anything suspicious in its report, & investigate further anything that does.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi,

Many thanks for the extensive answer, unfortunately I have done already yours and MEB's advices before and nothing worked. I will download EtreCheck, let's see what it says. Otherwise I believe last chance is an reset to factory settings....

Can we assume the lags did not go away when you created the new, temporary user account, & they are present when working with different photos?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It might. There are a few problems that can affect all existing user accounts, at least if you log into those accounts & do whatever it is that triggers the problem.

Affinity Photo 

Did you try running EtreCheck to see if it showed anything unusual?

Also, when you said you set the iMac to factory settings, what exactly did you do? Even if you reformatted the drive & reinstalled the OS via recovery mode, if you then migrated anything from a backup back onto it, you may have reintroduced some software issue that is causing the lags.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Wait - you say Lightroom 6 is slow too?  How can you rule out a hardware issue if other software is also struggling?  Did you upgrade the memory on it yourself (as most sensible people would have)?

I have a late 2015 5K iMac, and I've not seen any problems like this.

We could also have a look at some of your example files to see if there is a specific issue connected with your document.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

ad RCR: I haven't migrated  anything afterwards, only formatted everything, reinstalled OS and installed AP from AppStore. Yes, Etre check was fine, only AP was marked red (CPU usuage)

ad Ben: I have upgraded the RAM on my own, but issue exist already before that.Further, the problem starts with all files after adding some layers & (live) filters

In the meanwhile imo all the signs lead to the hardware because everybody i am talking with, doesn't report any issues on imac with AP. I have already called yesterday an apple shop to bring my imac to them because for me it's simply odd, that a computer , somehow tailormade for photography, is struggling here (although imac is only 5months old!). In addition, i am not the "hardcore" AP user but mainly using it to enhance photos.... 

Hope they find the problem

Anyhow, AP is really a fantastic program and I hope that I can use it at 100% performance soon ;) (thumbs crossed the guys will find the problem)

keep you posted and again thanks for your fast replies/help!

Br

If we had something like badge processing or scripting we could do a cross test and see how the performance for a complex file compares among iMacs like you've seen in some apple keynote where they compared Mac VS Pc using PS.

If scripting is not coming in the near future the team might also consider to add a "performance test" which has some extensive filtering and adjusting in it so that one could run this procedure on a certain file among different machines.

- pretending this is pretty quick to implement

• 2 weeks later...

@Lobu - do you use high resolution RAW photos too? (ie mine coming from EOS 6D- 5472x3648)

Anyhow, I have my imac back from apple service center - all hardware tests ok. They even installed AP on two of their working imacs and 1 macpro retina, and they have the same issue as me: extremely high processor usage and lags..

I will now try to use lower RAW resolution, maybe this is the porblem....

• Staff

I'm running a MacPro (new shape dustbin) with a 4K screen, a 27" iMac 5K and 2 retina MacBook Pros (2013 and 2015 models - one with integrated GPU, the other with discrete AMD) and I don't have any issues that are anything even remotely like what you're seeing? :S 

What processor has your iMac got? Mine is an i7. I think this might be an important point that hasn't been mentioned... You're manipulating a basically 20MP image and displaying it to a 15MP screen, so there's a lot of data processing but it still should be pretty quick - certainly nothing like 20 seconds to change a blend mode! :S  A 5K screen, i5 processor and Live filters will certainly mean that things won't be utterly instant, but you shouldn't really expect anything so bad as you're describing :(

As Ben mentioned, it might be worth sharing one of your images (you can send it to support@seriflabs.com and it will remain confidential and only used for testing to discuss with you) and we can at least see if there is something odd or unexpected happening. I also personally doubt a hardware problem (as confirmed by Apple) but I am guessing that it's something that might make more sense if we can try the same test with the same image and same machine for ourselves first :)

Thanks in advance,

Matt

You could also try this document, open a 24MP image and paste these layers on top.

I used them to achieve a stylized look, I´m not saying that this is a great solution or a one klick solution yet but while I was experimenting my MBPr 13 2012 got slowed down tremendously. To view the image without the performance issues I wanted to export it but even the most recent AP beta would not export it, just huge fan activity and 380% CPU.

I´ll try it on my iMac later but this is just the kind of file I´m having trouble with (also in the past on the 5k iMac with i7)

takes little less than 10min on my iMac to render the adjustments/ filters and create a merged pixel layer.

Most of the time I do a merge visible to view the result of the adjustments but I feel like Ap continues lagging until I turn off the underlying layers which I find strange cause the merged Pixel layer has all the information and AP does not seem to recognize that. 

- just double checked that and it´s definitely the case

The thing that bugs me the most (except the export failure) is that the UI locks up quickly (also on my iMac). My whole MB was still usable very well but say I want to add a curves adjustment in LAB mode and go to the L channel, although I´m not making any adjustments, AP just still lags significantly in the most recent beta. 

I think there might be potential for better background processing/ UI processing power allocation.

I also had an issue when doing Dodge and Burn with curves adjustments where I used the Luminosity LAB channel to create the dodge/ burn layers. There seemed to be less optimization compared to doing the same with two curves using their RGB master curves and I experienced significant brush lag.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on that?

Especially the unresponsive UI is really annoying (File > Export as well as these adjustments which lock up the whole program.

If I make a change, AP should recognize it and recalculate and not lock on into one setting and calculate it completely before it allows new input....