Raskolnikov

Resizing object / Resizing text

Some weeks ago the way that the objects are resized was changed (for good in my opinion) and their size can be now changed without losing their proportions with the SHIFT key. I like it, because so it's used in Photoshop and other programs, it's natural for many people.

But... when transforming a text box size, the behaviour wasn't change and keeping the SHIFT key clicked makes the text lose their proportions.

I just ask for the behaviour with text-boxes to be changed.

P.D: By the way (i think it was written somewhere too) would be very useful having the possibility of resizing or scalling objects and text boxes from their center.

Transforming a text frame does work as you desire, it's just Artist Text that behaves differently. The idea is that transform will honour the logic of when the object type was created. So when I drag out a shape the tool doesn't encourage aspect lock so the transform tool also doesn't after the creation. If I place an image or create some Artistic text then both of those creation tools do encourage aspect lock so the transform tool matches the logic. 

It all makes sense to me and when we change it I hate it. The only solution has to be to let the user decide and make it an option. 

I propose. 

Transform aspect constraining 

Auto - Automatic based on object type

Never - Never constrain aspect by default 

Always - Always constrain aspect by default

TonyB.

Edited by TonyB
Added my proposal

Would be a good solution letting everyone to decide how the objects would behave when been transform, if will keep their proportions by default (without any addition key) or not.

I understand you, it's only that, until the premiere of Affinity Photo (when I'll uninstall photoshop) I find two different behaviours on these programs (PS and AD) and it's confusing at least for me.

Maybe in the future should be unify these 3 apps (Photo, Designer, Publisher) with the same behaviour... the one you claim.

I find I am using FreeHand (FH11) Keyboard Shortcuts the same way… I am so used to holding down CMD-SHIFT (mouse click) keys and dragging an object’s (or group of objects) corner handle to scale the selection’s size proportionally from that handle or, with CMD-OPTION-SHIFT to resize from the center.

I can’t wait until AD has the option to program my own keyboard short cuts — which I hope will include the ability to scale any selected object.

In FreeHand, however, you need to “Group” a text box in order for it to act like an object so you can scale the entire box, including kerning, baseline offsets, outlines, shadows, fills, etc.

Perhaps AD can do it one better and make a “Scale Text Box" tool that will essentially do the same thing… it would certainly translate better to an iPad version if both apps had such a tool. 

Then the text remains intact, meaning you don’t have to convert it to paths in order to scale it, which also means you can edit the text at anytime in the future.

-GenoaJenn

——————————

Jenn in Genoa

It all makes sense to me and when we change it I hate it. The only solution has to be to let the user decide and make it an option.

You're right, I understands you now after some weeks and use. It's the logical thing what you was defening, ... and not me or Adobe...

It would be great given the user the option to change that behaviour in Affinity. A big step forward. Because everyone has his own way of doing it or would like to have.