You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestions for Preflight > Text Patterns

Here are a few small additions to Preflight's Text Patterns feature that would be nice to have:

- Multiple words, e.g., "the the", "and and"
- Multiple periods - sometimes I accidentally type two periods at the end of a sentence
- Space before period - sometimes I accidentally type a space before the period at the end of a sentence
- Space before break - I never do this and it's harmless but it's a pet peeve of mine
- Comma without space - when it separates words, not numbers of course, e.g., "...store,and then..."
- Period without space - when it separates words, not numbers of course, .e.g, "...end.The next..."
- [edit - added] Comma preceded by space - this is likely the result of copy/pasting
- [edit - added] Period preceded and followed by space - this is likely the result of copy/pasting

I just ran my book project through MS Word to hunt for grammatical errors and these are the text patterns it caught that Affinity didn't. I don't expect Affinity to have a built-in grammar checker but adding these half dozen patterns would probably save others some grief, too.

Screenshot2023-07-29at3_22_05PM.png.e510c29b383c190726355cfbd5642039.png

Edited by MikeTO
added 2 more

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

36 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Here are a few small additions to Preflight's Text Patterns feature that would be nice to have:

I thought about similar things in the past regarding Preflight's Text Patterns and I came to a conclusion that being able to add your own GREP patters to the Preflight Panel would solve all these these and other potential issues not listed here.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

13 minutes ago, Red Sands said:

Two spaces - routinely search and replace a lot of them in all kinds of documents.

Preflight can already find those for you and provide an inline Fix button to correct them.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

29 minutes ago, Seneca said:

I thought about similar things in the past regarding Preflight's Text Patterns and I came to a conclusion that being able to add your own GREP patters to the Preflight Panel would solve all these these and other potential issues not listed here.

I'd like that but I still think these basic patterns should be added since not everybody is proficient at things like grep.

• 3 months later...

I added two more suggestions to the above list:

- Comma preceded by space - this is likely the result of copy/pasting
- Period preceded by space - this is likely the result of copy/pasting

I just noticed that my Publisher manual has lots of commas preceded by spaces due to the bug with copying extra spaces when copy/pasting a selected word. Now that bug should be fixed but it would still be good to check for this text pattern.

And btw I'd turn period preceded by a space off for my Publisher manual since it lists a lot of file formats such as .afpub, while for my history book I'd keep it on because it's rare to need a space before a period.

22 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

And btw I'd turn period preceded by a space off for my Publisher manual since it lists a lot of file formats such as .afpub, while for my history book I'd keep it on because it's rare to need a space before a period.

Perhaps the check should be more specific, for the sequence of a space, a dot, and either a space, other punctuation, or end of line/paragraph.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps the check should be more specific, for the sequence of a space, a dot, and either a space, other punctuation, or end of line/paragraph.

Good idea, space period space and not just space period.