You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Placing Options for external Affinity Files

Hi,

at the moment it is possible to place an external Designer-File and embedded it in the Document. 

But then the File is embedded within the Document. Changes of the external File doesn´t appear. 

A placing Option like in InDesign or Word would be nice, where you can choose if you want to embed or link the File, you want to place.

Changes in the external File would also appear in the Document where it is included if linked.

Maybe your working on such a Feature already for the Affinity Publisher ;-) 

When I edit the embedded File / Layer, there is also no option to save that as a new Document.

(In Photoshop you can Save a Smart-Object as new PSD-File if needed.) 

For now its only possible to copy the Content, create a new Document and paste it there, if I want to get the Content out of a embedded File. 

Thanks for your great Work...

Can´t wait to get the Symbols-Function for Designer ;-)

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I am also missing the possibility to embed external files. If you have a logo artwork that is used in plenty of other places this is very usefull.

Currently when I duplicate an embeded file at least both instances are based on the same embeded file. Thats great. But when I doubleclick on one instance and change the embeded file only the clicked instance gets updated. The other instance has to be moved to get updated :(

Regards Nicola

• 5 months later...

I would also like to suggest consistent terminology be adopted to reduce confusion. If the menu item said "Embed..." instead of "Place...", it would be more consistent, accurate, and clear.

I would like to see a "Link To..." option as well, where editing the original updated every document that linked to it (perhaps with an option to explicitly approve the changes).

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with the above.

And what nicola is referring to is the Replace Document option that ONLY changes the selected layer. If you select all the layers with the embedded item you lose the options Edit Document and Replace Document.

Honestly, I'm not dying that I don't have external files that I have to link and relink when moving things around. Serif has stated this isn't meant to be a page layout program. But I do see instances where you might have linked this from another application that Designer or Photo struggle to interpret/edit.

I'm fiddling with Symbols to see if there is a way to get the same effect as Replace Document would have—except the object isn't linked.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I love that Designer allows for embedded but editable files.  There is one huge advantage to this as well as disadvantages - there are different use cases.  Sometimes I really want to customize an embedded image for the document. This is the case when I start with a template/mockup - I don't want the original affected.  And I LOVE that you can just open up right within Designer and edit there.  I call this embedded-editable vs "edit with" as found in InDesign etc.   What I don't like right now is that if I want to save that instance of what I modified in the embedded file I just cannot save that particular instance so I may use elsewhere.  I have to copy all the layers and start a new file and then paste.  

However the lack of linked capabilities makes life difficult - not just the case of modifying a logo all throughout the document.  Let me bring up another case.  If you paste a PSD or a Photo file within Designer, then it's great that you can edit the embedded file.  But wait, there are a lot of tool missing in Pixel Personal and all you really can/should do is turn on/off layers - which is great but limited (for instance the inpainting brush, my favorite, is missing, as is the stamp brush tool).  But what if I really want to edit that file.  I have to replace the file and make sure it's aligned just right again.