You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe Photoshop & InDesign Alternatives

Hi,

I am very excited about Affinity Photo & Design software!

I have the following questions (I am not a designer and I don't use/know Adobe Photoshop or InDesign software):

1. I have Adobe Photoshop format (.PSD) files from designers. Which software - Affinity Photo or Affinity Design - would I need to read those files and be able to edit them?

2. I have Adobe InDesign format files from designers. Which software - Affinity Photo or Affinity Design - would I need to read those files and be able to edit them?

3. I know that Affinity Photo and Designer are both relatively very cheap, but wondering if there is any promotional discount available if I were to buy one or both the software?

Thank you,

Anil

• Staff

Hello Anil,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1. Although both programs are able to import PSD files, only Affinity Photo is the most adequate to manipulate images/photos and possess similar features as Photoshop.

2. Neither Photo nor Designer are able to open InDesign files. Only Affinity Publisher (not released yet - public beta planned for the end of this year) will be able to do it (but not immediately on its release/launch).

3. We do some casual discounts from time to time but there's no specific discount for buying both apps simultaneously.

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, AnilAgrawal said:

Is there any discount for Affinity Photo customers to buy Affinity Designer for MAC?

No there is not, other than the same promotional discounts available to anyone when they offer a promotion. There may be a limited time promotional discount when version 1.6 is released, but there is no guarantee that there will be.

Previous promotional discounts for the desktop apps have been 20% off the retail price, about $10 for buyers in the U.S.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 17/03/2016 at 1:46 AM, MEB said:

2. Neither Photo nor Designer are able to open InDesign files. Only Affinity Publisher (not released yet - public beta planned for the end of this year) will be able to do it (but not immediately on its release/launch).

MEB, are you aware, that you just spilled a potential timeframe for the Publisher beta?

• Staff

True. We were a little optimistic regarding Publisher's release date (Beta) but there were also a few situations that affected the initial plans. In any case there's no point in releasing something the dev team isn't happy with just to make it available sooner. It would end disappointing everyone, both the devs/Serif and the users. We will get there.

Just thought I'd check on progress of the release of Publisher. Having been a user (and still a user of PagePlus) I was keen to be on the look out for Serif going Mac. So naturally bought Designer (I'm definitely not one) and Photo as soon as they were released. I'd love to say I use them all the time but I've played with them and marvelled at other people's stuff. Even bought the Designer Handbook too, but to be honest, haven't had a chance to open it yet.

Was so excited in 2014 when I saw Designer, Photo and Publisher so am patiently waiting for Publisher's release. 

Ah well, what's another year? I'm just getting older, that's all.

Best of luck to the team and I'll wait patiently.

Peter

• Staff

Hi Peter,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your words and support. Affinity Publisher is still under development. We were a little optimistic regarding its release date and due to some adjustments to our plans (Photo and Designer for iPad), Light UI interface and other non-planned additions to Photo and Designer it end up delayed a little more. There's still no eta but it's progressing well. We will announce it here in the forums and on social media as soon as the Beta becomes available.

Welll...   ok..

i also think dont bring anything out only to be faster..    but...

Pleeaasse...  get it out fast..      :D.

my company is counting on you, and the decision to throw out photoshop and the reason we´ve allready bought about 120 licences of affinity photo is based on the assumption, we will be able to change our whole adobe product line including indesign...

soo...   im a patient..   a little..  

greetings.

On 20. Oktober 2017 at 6:28 PM, Tia Lapis said:

Publisher pushed back *AGAIN*? This is getting ridiculous 8(

No(thing has changed), Serif still claims "We’ll be asking you to help us perfect Affinity Publisher when we publish it in beta in 2017”.

And since November: no asking about help anymore, but the message “Affinity Publisher Available 2018”.

If you really are ready to dump InDesign, then why not use Serif Page Plus in the interim. This is now deemed a legacy product, but you can be seen to be supporting Serif. Note that PP has its own support forum.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 21.10.2017 at 8:30 PM, John Rostron said:

If you really are ready to dump InDesign, then why not use Serif Page Plus in the interim. This is now deemed a legacy product, but you can be seen to be supporting Serif. Note that PP has its own support forum.

AFAIK Serif Page Plus is only available on PCs, many (if not most) of the Adobe users are Mac users. So this can be a problem.