You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MacPro Lagging and freezing with large files

Pretty much every time I edit "large" pixel size files like the last one at  300 DPI for 200cm x 100cm ( 24000 px x 12000px) I am experiencing some serious lags and freezing problems with bluring tools or content aware tools (inpainting brush)

For example if I try using swirling bokeh  (AP video tutorial ) on a file this size, my MACPRO will regularly lag for minutes and freeze at the impainting stage.

It is very annoying because I am definitely not going back to photoshop but I must admit that for large files it is a better working horse, for creativity AP is unbeatable but you do have a file size issue frm my experience. I have tried changing the performance settings but to no avail. Please be clear on what should be done with settings!!! I have read various contradicting interpretations on the forum...use OPEN GL ONLY ... USE OPEN GL AND GPU...USE ONLY GPU  :(

I doubt that it is an hardware issue as I am working on a MACPRO six core 64GB with an AMD FIREPRO 300 graphic card. Only Ap running....

Here goes a link to the file I am mentioning:  note that this a jpeg file dowloaded from the hubble telescope site online. Would the same file raw make a difference.... 

https://www.hightail...ld0FoMlhOUjhUQw

Cheers and thank you again

I doubt you do not have a hardware problem. I just took your tour, downloaded the image, made everything according to the video tutorial, and finished it. On an iMac from 2011. 8GB RAM. The usual suspects running: Safari, Thunderbird, Cyberduck, AffDesigner, Notes, Photoshop (uhh, I mean… NOTHING! I swear, that just popped up due to the autocorrect function)

I must admit though it took about three decades or so. And the memory efficiency (shown in the info palette) showed values up to 11500%… which is impressing.

And out of curiosity: why would you try the booked thing on such an impressive image that stands alone? Does not give anything to the image but takes a lot from it.

post-27232-0-69187800-1458206513_thumb.png

thanx for your answers and fine suggestions ... just a bit frustrated on not getting any answers on this problems with the stability of AP ( freezing and lagging). I have wrote several times in the past on the issue and I cannot get a definitive answer on how to avoid these problems If at least someone from the staff could answer on what is the best performance settings witth different hardware setups ??? . Why give the option to use GPU and in what case would you recommend using it??? what the point of resetting at startup (control start) and when should it be done???

it is a massive file indeed ( nasa Hubble camera composite images) and it has been crushed to a very reasonable jpg size by nasa. Maybe that incredible compressing into jpg has damaged the capacity to edit pixels? the same file in raw or even tiff would certainly behave differently... what do you reckon??