You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity tools: how about multi cores, memory use and gpu support?

hey guys,

like many others, i am following the Affinity software with great intrest. I work daily in Photoshop (heavy photo manipulation with high ress photo's and a lot of layers, brushes, filters, etc) and Illustrator (cartoon logos). Soon, i am going to leave the Mac platform and move over to Windows for a better hardware configuration. With the good news that Affinity is working on a Windows release. So maybe, i will be a part of this family!

I am planning my new configuration for a long time now and my focus at this moment is a fast i7-6 core (5820k), 64gb mem, M2 SSD + SSD for scratch only, and a very fast GPU (GTX 980ti) for all kind of processes like live preview / rendering in adobe premiere and after effects. Photoshop does benefit from Cuda as well. I am not sure if Illustrator uses Cuda for zooming and panning.

My question for Affinity is:

1) Is there any GPU support in Photo and Designer, if yes, is this OpenCL based or is there CUDA involved? 

2) what is the sweet spot in cores? I know Photoshop has an sweet spot of 6 cores.

3) Is Affinity a memory hungry tool? I am planning 64gb of memory.

kind regards,

Roy

The Windows versions are still in development. That's probably why you can't find any info about their hardware requirements.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am also really interested in how Affinity´s performance scales with hardware.

Now that it will be released for windows I definitely want to buy it and I plan to get a new system for it. I think about purchasing 16GB (DDR4), a dedicated GPU and either an i5 (4 cores) or a i7 (8 threads). My goal is a silent and efficient system, not so much the best beast you can get. But I don´t want to just meet the minimum or lower end requirements either. I want to enjoy really good performance but if I could save the costs of a i7 that would be nice.

The Affinity suite would be used for:

- normal photo editing and retouching of max. 18MP photos

- creating logos

- layouting text and pictures in multipage documents

Now I wonder: 

- would a i5 6th generation be good?

- does cpu speed matter?

- does Affinity benefit from a dedicated GPU or would the integrated Intel HD 530 perform the same?

- do I have to consider buying a i7 with hyperthreading for optimal performance?

I am pretty sure my planed setup with a i5 and even the integrated GPU would work, somehow. But I would appreciate to hear some words from the devs about the overall performance of Affinty on Windows compared to lets say Adobe CS6 on Windows.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

sweeb