You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

this forum: untangle AP / AD Mac // AP / AD Windows?

Hi

Congratulations on the Windows news :-)

Wouldn't this be a good moment to untangle Mac AD / Mac AP threads and prepare new forums for Windows AP and Windows AP?

Or at least add filters, so that I can't start a new thread without having to decide if it's about APMac, APWindows, ADMac or ADWindows?

Yes, I agree with you. It can be bad enough as it is in sifting posts here, what’s Designer, what’s Photo related. Now add another OS into the mix and it could all start getting very messy, very quickly!

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

I think making entirely separate forums would be best, one for Mac users and one for Windows users.

I like to look up the new posts a few times a day. I'm not thrilled that most posts eventually will not be for my platform and/or threads will have input all over the place on Windows users adding their thoughts that are aimed at their versions.

Sifting through the posts will be more than tedious if there aren't two distinct forums.

My two cents.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

Similar here: I have been following the Questions subforum to see if there was something I could help with. I have no interest in doing unpaid Windows support.

You would not give Windows support. You would help a fellow user of a graphics program who has a problem.

I was more than happy to read todays news but it clearly was a bad idea to come reading the forums!

This religious Mac centrism one may encounter here really knocks me out. Please someone point me to some

thread in any software forum thread where Windows users expose the same odd ways...

Just to put things into proportion.

I at least in > 15 years can not recall a Windows user who ever claimed that he/she can not bear being

in one (fo)room with persons who happen to prefer another OS.

The 3D Software I use most was recently ported to the Mac platform after almost 20 years of exclusive existence

on Windows. Nobody felt afraid about development focus and nobody even bothered to comment as the Mac

specific section got added to the forum...

hifred,

You should expect that. This is a mac forum and not a mixed one.

I'm sure once the windows betas start to appear and there will be more mac-windows posts, things will change.

So far this has been a Mac only forum. Chill.

PS: Your example of 3D software proves nothing. I remember the time when all apps were written for Mac only as the windows was till a joke to use.  ;)  ;)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

All I'm saying is: it might be a good moment to split the sub forums; AP and AD were separate subforums before the official launch - that worked better for me than mixing the threads, but of course it's up to the Affinity team to decide what's more practical for them.

Affinity Photo is a marvellous product, I'm glad for any new user they get.

If not wanting to lose my time over posts and threads that don't concern me in the least is being religious, well then so be it. You obviously haven't looked around much to say you haven't encountered something similar. I've used a Mac since the mid-90s and have seen plenty of ridiculing for using a toy instead of a real computer. And it's still going on but on a different level, now.

But what the heck, Affinity will decide what they'll do, I trust they have a plan on how to handle this.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

Hello,

for me, it isn't necessary to divide the OS Mac and Windows.

I expect similar interfaces and functions.

But one forum for one software would be better to handle.

The Affinity Suite will increase. 

The number of users will increase.

And therefore the number of posts will increase.

Greetings

Jack

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

Regarding splitting the forums into entirely separate Mac & Windows ones, even though there will be some differences because the apps are running on dissimilar OS's, like Affinity Jack mentioned presumably there will still be a lot more commonality because most of the features will work the same way with either one.

For example, questions about layer behavior, filters & adjustments, & many other things will have the same answers no matter which OS users are running, so it would not be particularly helpful to require users to decide which OS forum to post such things to.

This is also somewhat true for the apps themselves -- many layer & mask functions work the same in AD & AP, as do some of the color panel features.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7