You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LARGE FILE ISSUES, AP LAGGING FREEZING ON MACPRO

Pretty much every time I edit "large" pixel size files like the last one at  300 DPI for 200cm x 100cm ( 24000 px x 12000px) I am experiencing some serious lags and freezing problems with bluring tools or content aware tools (inpainting brush)

For example if I try using swirling bokeh  (AP video tutorial ) on a file this size, my MACPRO will regularly lag for minutes and freeze at the impainting stage.

It is very annoying because I am definitely not going back to photoshop but I must admit that for large files it is a better working horse, for creativity AP is unbeatable but you do have a file size issue frm my experience. I have tried changing the performance settings but to no avail. Please be clear on what should be done with settings!!! I have read various contradicting interpretations on the forum...use OPEN GL ONLY ... USE OPEN GL AND GPU...USE ONLY GPU :(

I doubt that it is an hardware issue as I am working on a MACPRO six core 64GB with an AMD FIREPRO 300 graphic card. Only Ap running....

Here goes a link to the file I am mentioning:  note that this a jpeg file dowloaded from the hubble telescope site online. Would the same file raw make a difference.... 

https://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJXSkhld0FoMlhOUjhUQw

Cheers and thank you again

For what it is worth, I downloaded the 53 MB carina_80x40full.jpeg file & opened it in AP on my puny by comparison iMac (specs below). I tried using the inpainting brush at up to 4096 pixel width on up to about 20% of the file at a time. The longest processing time I saw for that was around 35 seconds, & proportionally shorter for smaller selections.

I also had AD, Preview, & Safari open at the time (but only AP & Safari had visible windows) so somewhat less than all of active memory was available for AP during the processing. I am also using View Quality > "Bilinear (Best Quality)" & "Use hardware OpenGL" (but not "Use only Integrated GPU," which I don't think applies to my iMac anyway) settings in the Performance preferences.

So I would think your high performance MacPro would be several times faster than my iMac, but I have no idea why it isn't.

EDIT #2: Still using the 4096 pixel width on up to about 20% of the file at a time, by selecting different parts of the image & switching the frontmost app back to Safari & doing a few other things that would limit the resources available to AP, I could push the processing time up to around 4 minutes maximum, but that is still much better than you are seeing.

Edited by R C-R

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you RCR ! I appreciate you testing the inpainting brush but if you try the tutorial on bokeh with radial blur maybe you would run into more lag and even freeze your iMac.... I don't know I think the app was designed to be used without the GPU choice in performance settings but I have noticed that having it "on" can make a tremendous difference in some other cases. Anyway the test file we are using in this discussion is actually quite small and I would love some feedback from Seriff on dealing with 1,2,3 GB files ? ... I haven't tested enough files with the proper settings I guess but every time I deal with "large"files I have some "doubts" about AP capacity for dealing with a lot of pixels. Sincerely hope I am wrong because I really love this software and the freedom from PS.