You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I draw some strokes for a logo (look at the attached picture).

I used strokes and changed the pressure to have different width along the line.

The end of the stroke is round.

I wanted to export my work in eps format to be able to print it ou use it with Illustrator...

I saw in the eps file in illustrator that the round of my stokes became broken lines.

Come back in AD, I decide to vectorise the stroke (layer menu). In french it's called "vectoriser le contour".

And I obtain the same result : broken lines...

Is it a normal behavior ?

I also wonder why there are so many nodes (and no tools to simplify all those nodes).

It's very difficult to change/adjust quickly the curve with so many useless nodes !!

I hope my explanation is clear.

Thank you.

post-23570-0-32523600-1457962551_thumb.png

Franck, the Expand Stroke command in AD has been a problem from the initial release day.  We keep hearing that it is in the process of being fixed, and will be soon.  But it's been about a year and a half, sigh.  But I'm sure it will be fixed soon.   <_<

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Before giving up on AD for this, you might try exporting the variable width stroke as a PDF file instead of as an EPS one. (For some background info on the differences between the two formats, Adobe's Postscript vs. PDF page may be of interest.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I forget to precise this point.

At first time, I tried to export as a PDF (printing settings), without expand the stroke.

The result was the same as describe with the eps format.

So I tried to select the strokes, to vectorise them and export as pdf... no way.

Them I tried to export as eps and you know the end.

But I still learn to work with AD and AP ;-)

Thank you for the link to the adobe informations about Postscript vs PDF.

I usually use PDF format for printing documents.