You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resize with Lanczos 3 (non-separable)

I just used Lanczos 3 (non-separable) to resize a high quality image of a bird perched on a wire with a very bright blue sky behind it.  I had previously tried resizing the shot with Perfect Resize 10 (Genuine Fractals) and was disappointed with the results. Resize 10 claims to be able to do a ten-fold resize, the best I was able to achieve was a marginal 2.25:1, the resampled pixels looked wavy and warped. The results with Lanczos 3 were truly amazing!  

I had one issue, after resizing (4:1) and viewing at 100%, while there were no warped pixels, there was a noticeable white halo (fringe) surrounding the bird.  I started to remove the halo with the clone tool and it worked reasonably well, albeit slowly. I am wondering if there is a more efficient way to remove the fringe.  

As I become familiar with Affinity Photo the more amazed I become with the package  You guys have done an super job and with a few more updates I'll be removing CS6 from my computer!

May I concur with your assessment.   I no longer see any use for Perfect Resize 10, Genuine Fractals. Yep.  Your right.  I have not done the exercise you did with halos.

The workflow I have, today, still needs PS CS5....until I can learn to do soft proofing on AP.    

There are some other applications I may stop using, and have not chosen which ones.

Cheers

David

I am soooo frustrated with this 'soft proofing' and NO ONE helping!   Sure, I have used soft proofing.   Have you, Big_Stan, attempted to have the exported image match what comes out as the .tiff and then open it in Photoshop?  There is no match!  Just does not happen!

I just cannot send to the Epson Pro 9900 printer the image in the tiff image file in PS CS5.  It does not match the original image file. Even if my custom printer profile is applied, there is no match.  Further more, sending the image through LR 6.4, or Printao 8, is useless.

In my workflow I used to use, the image in LR 6.4, edited for size, in PS CS5 is a perfect match (if any match is perfect).

My goal is to have AP become use staple in my workflow.

In previous posts I asked if what I was doing was correct.  I attached screen shots.  I have tried different combinations of settings available.  I still cannot get the digital image file to match the original

I have studied this effort with the X-Rite 24 patch target.  What more can I right.

Alan, please help!    Alan, your video lessons are have the right tempo for me!   

Kind Regards,

David

I was searching Wikipedia and found the following quote regarding the white halos I encountered with using the Lanczos filter for image resampling, "When using the Lanczos filter for image resampling, the ringing effect will create light and dark halos along any strong edges".  BTW, I was able to "push" the resampling to 5:1 and using the clone stamp tool at about 60% hardness I was able to get rid of the halos and achieve satisfactory results.  Using the defringe filter did not seem to contribute to removing the halo.