You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can i create a gradient that follows a path?

You used the vector brush method, right? the problem is that it gets rasterised

the direct linear gradient method doesn't work for other scenarios when i want the gradient to follow a path

for eg, here if i want one end to be green and the other end to be red

image.png.0045fb9fcd3a9362a005614309bab124.png

Edited by AhmedThahir
missed out on the second line

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2016 at 9:19 AM, MattP said:

No, this isn't possible at the moment unless you go to the trouble of making a gradient texture to use in a vector brush... We have much grander plans when it comes to gradients and I'm not prepared to mention what it is right now because it won't be as much fun when we do the big reveal in the future if you already knew what was coming! ;)

So im here 4 years later needing high definition gradient along the path and if i get it right those "grander plans when it comes to gradients" are still just on paper somewhere archived in basement or is it finally comming in reasonably near feature or it was completely rejected somewhere in the process? :)

• 5 months later...
On 3/11/2016 at 9:19 AM, MattP said:

No, this isn't possible at the moment unless you go to the trouble of making a gradient texture to use in a vector brush... We have much grander plans when it comes to gradients and I'm not prepared to mention what it is right now because it won't be as much fun when we do the big reveal in the future if you already knew what was coming! ;)

‚Grander plans … when we do the big reveal in the future' — it is now the year 2020 and nothing has happened in this respect. Pity! ☹️

• Staff
On 10/6/2020 at 10:41 AM, RGreen said:

‚Grander plans … when we do the big reveal in the future' — it is now the year 2020 and nothing has happened in this respect. Pity! ☹️

It is a pity that it hasn't happened yet, but we've been busy doing other things... this hasn't been forgotten about...

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone, just joined the forum and this is my first post so, please be gentle!

I hope I'm not hijacking the op's request but, I wonder if the requirement being asked for is something like the new logo which Apple has created for it's 'Spring Loaded' eventgsmarena_00.jpg.09fe20a1c847ada9812d3264be3d7414.jpg

I've tried to replicate this myself using a linear gradient but, when moving the nodes of the path, it looks like the gradient is static like a mask. I'm trying to get the gradient to 'stick' to the path no matter how I manipulate it

• 1 year later...

Hey there,

maybe another approach to this. It is a combination of Texture Brush and Layer Adjustment. Using a rounded or squared Brush with a grdient from White to Black creates the following gradient. To set any adjustable colored gradient on top use the Layer Adjustment and define the colors that you want. Move the colors in the gradient to easily set their position on the curve.  

Affinitycan2.jpg

Affinitycan.jpg

AffinitySetup.jpg

13 hours ago, aloescher said:

It is a combination of Texture Brush and Layer Adjustment.

Damn it! What a trick! Wisely 👍

This would be a good addition to these brushes:

You can find downloadable resources in that thread.gradient hor brush.afdesign709542383_Gradhor.png.fb78a1e3df6de50836553bdb6edf6f1d.png 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

10 hours ago, aloescher said:

maybe another approach to this. It is a combination of Texture Brush and Layer Adjustment. Using a rounded or squared Brush with a grdient from White to Black creates the following gradient. To set any adjustable colored gradient on top use the Layer Adjustment and define the colors that you want. Move the colors in the gradient to easily set their position on the curve.  

I can't seem to get this to work, probably because I do not have the right kind of texture brush to work with. I would appreciate it very much if someone could post an example of the brush they are using for this & an AD file using it plus a gradient Layer Adjustment.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

27 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I can't seem to get this to work, probably because I do not have the right kind of texture brush to work with. I would appreciate it very much if someone could post an example of the brush they are using for this & an AD file using it plus a gradient Layer Adjustment.

Here is a set of files. I think this is what is being discussed.

brush art folder.zip

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Here is a set of files. I think this is what is being discussed.

Does the brush need to be a textured Image brush for this to work?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

You can find downloadable resources in that thread.gradient hor brush.afdesign

Easter Egg! This file also contains an example of how to turn off noise for a gradient 👍