You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can i create a gradient that follows a path?

• Staff

No, this isn't possible at the moment unless you go to the trouble of making a gradient texture to use in a vector brush... We have much grander plans when it comes to gradients and I'm not prepared to mention what it is right now because it won't be as much fun when we do the big reveal in the future if you already knew what was coming! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

hmmmm...i think i asked this incorrectly then...i don't want to create a path, but actually create a shape with a curvy side and have the gradient shoot outwards from the curvy side in the same shape as the curvy side...i don't really know how to explain this better...

like....i want to make a rectangle, but one of the sides of the rectangle would be ark-ed, either convex, or concave, then i want to apply a linear style gradient to the rectangle, but the gradient would alter it's shape to follow the curve of the ark-ed side, rather than just be linear...

I hope that makes sense a little bit better...

How complex is your gradient going to be? If it's as simple as one colour fading out into transparency, you can use the Inner Shadow effect. That will follow the curve exactly.

Hmm, maybe not. Painting one by building it up using a masked pixel layer seems to be the best way so far until the new super gradient goodies come out:

post-559-0-45359300-1460338827_thumb.png

MacBook Pro 15" 32GB RAM, iPad Pro 12.9" + Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil.  Software tools of my trade: Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | PDF Expert | Drafts | The Archive | Plutio  

https://eandrpublications.com.au

• 3 years later...
On 3/11/2016 at 9:19 AM, MattP said:

No, this isn't possible at the moment unless you go to the trouble of making a gradient texture to use in a vector brush... We have much grander plans when it comes to gradients and I'm not prepared to mention what it is right now because it won't be as much fun when we do the big reveal in the future if you already knew what was coming! ;)

Hello,

I didn't find any update on this topic since 2016, and also no other informations anywhere else on that matter. Is this feature already implemented or is it still to come?

Thank you very much in advance for your update!

Antoine

For context, which app are you using mr OP?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 minutes ago, anon2 said:

He last visited the forum more than 3 years ago, so it's unlikely he'll answer :)

Knock once for yes, twice for no lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 hours ago, PixelPest said:

Can you post an image of what you´re trying to achieve - so we can see how close we can get with AD.

I still thought it was about a "gradient following a path": 😀

gradientonpath.png.2712acc4082b806a98a9a40d4e26ad2d.png

My question is about a «  gradient following a path ». Your image is what i try to achieve, whatever the shape of the curve is. Thanks for the clarification.

23 hours ago, PixelPest said:

Can you post an image of what you´re trying to achieve - so we can see how close we can get with AD.

I still thought it was about a "gradient following a path": 😀

gradientonpath.png.2712acc4082b806a98a9a40d4e26ad2d.png

FYI it's not going to work in many applications, but in the example shown it can be pretty well accomplished using a conical gradient for the stroke.

1087593005_ScreenShot2020-03-09at2_52_39PM.png.c521db5b237c16772ade2ed3c6eb70d0.png

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• 1 month later...

Hello AhmedThahir,

Create a drawing with the colors (rainbow in my example), apply a "Gaussian Blur" fx to it (check "Preserve Alpha") and export it as a png (the selection alone).
Duplicate the drawing, rotate it by 90° and export it if you want to have the choice of gradient as in my screenshot.
To create the brush, in the "Brushes" tab of the studio, expand the "Hamburger" to the right of the name, choose "New Textured Image Brush" in the drop-down list, select the PNG file, click on "Open", the brush will be created in the displayed category. Proceed in the same way for the second brush.

2020-04-14_163746.jpg

1 hour ago, G13RL said:

Hello AhmedThahir,

Create a drawing with the colors (rainbow in my example), apply a "Gaussian Blur" fx to it (check "Preserve Alpha") and export it as a png (the selection alone).
Duplicate the drawing, rotate it by 90° and export it if you want to have the choice of gradient as in my screenshot.
To create the brush, in the "Brushes" tab of the studio, expand the "Hamburger" to the right of the name, choose "New Textured Image Brush" in the drop-down list, select the PNG file, click on "Open", the brush will be created in the displayed category. Proceed in the same way for the second brush.

2020-04-14_163746.jpg

image.png.e186094b8c3707ae7fc33fa2fa2720a6.png

i tried your method but the brush's colour gradient isnt getting applied :(

I got it right with a conical gradient... however, it gets rasterised for svg