You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how do i move the bottom layer of a mask around?

• Staff

Hi rchrdnsh,

I don't understood what you mean by "turned it into a mask", but there's no need to use masks. Just drag the image layer over the shape layer (not over it's thumbnail but over the area on the right) in the Layers panel. Then to move the image inside the shape select it in the Layers panel (you may need to click the small arrow to expand the shape layer and see the image layer) then drag/scale/rotate/skew it on the canvas.

• Staff

Hi rchrdnsh,

Thanks for clarifying. If you click the Mask button with a shape selected it will not turn it into a mask but will add an empty mask to the shape instead. So you are actually masking the shape not the image.

If you want to place an image inside a shape (using the shape as a clipping mask) you only have to drag the image layer over the shape layer. Check this clip for details. At 00:47s i've checked Lock Children. This enables you to change/transform the shape without affecting the image clipped inside. If you don't check it the image will also be affected by the transforms applied to the shape.