You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best way to achieve cracked paint effect?

You can play with blend modes, or you can use filter>distort>displace.

In both cases you need two layers, one with the picture and one with the texture.

Here's a video about blend modes.

And here's a video about displace.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

TinPianoMan, looks like you're on your way! :D

You should check with the T-shirt printer to see what thickness of line they can hold. Usually T-shirts are screened, and the ink is really thick and goopy, so super fine detail is not achievable. You might need bigger "cracks" in your texture in order for it to show up correctly.

Good point. I'll adjust some of the brush settings. A couple of the T-shirt printers I plan to use print DTG, so that may be better at handling fine detail. Anyway, before going ahead with this kind of background, I'll make sure I double-check with the printer.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Hi TinPianoMan,

this is a nice effect and I will make a tutorial about that in future.

Depending upon the picture, it will be easy or difficult.

The easy way (but not the best):

You need a texture of your cracks. You're right. It it possible with the build-in brushes. There are several grunge brushes.

Make your texture on a layer over your photo, which you want to be effected.

Set the blend mode to something like "multiply".

You can mask out unwanted areas.

But for a complex result, you also need to enforce the cracks with curves, add shadows/contours with dodge & burn, displace to the object ....

Perhaps this helps.

Ciao Jack 

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

Thanks Jack. I'd certainly appreciate a tutorial on this.

Maybe you could cover another background effect I've been experimenting with. I created the attached by using the noise setting in the colours panel. But it pushes up the file size and others on this forum warned me that certain format exports may compromise the end result. It was when I discovered this that I decided to explore a cracked effect instead.

post-27840-0-41355400-1457713981_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jack. I'd certainly appreciate a tutorial on this.

Maybe you could cover another background effect I've been experimenting with. I created the attached by using the noise setting in the colours panel. But it pushes up the file size and others on this forum warned me that certain format exports may compromise the end result. It was when I discovered this that I decided to explore a cracked effect instead.

Okay, 

funny, because this is a transition to another effect which is also in my personal schedule...

:)

Ciao Jack 

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer