You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you move an image in the canvas without also moving the underlying layer?

Hi,

Apologies if this is Affinity 101.  I knew how to do this in Photoshop, but can't seem to figure it out in Affinity.  

The problem explained in more detail: I dragged and dropped a background image into the main viewing area/canvas.  Then, I added a new layer and dragged a different photo into that.  However, when I move the top layer in the canvas (not in the layer side panel) it also drags the background image/layer with it.  All I'm trying to do is position the top image over the bottom image so I can blend them.  

I know this must be an easy operation, but I can't seem to find out how to do it.

Much thanks for any help you may have.

-Eric

Probably I misunderstand your question. But it seems very easy for me: you must have selected both layers in order to move them at the same time. Either click the layer you'd like to move in the layer panel or simply click the image in the canvas, then use the move tool to drag it around.

• Staff

Hi Eric,

I'm not sure what you've done, but you can drag both images to the canvas, one at a time. They will be placed in different layers by default. There's no need to create a new layer.

Then select one of them in the Layers panel or in the canvas with the Move Tool as @Peterkaosa said and position it where you want.

• 4 years later...

I have the same problem 

Used the selection tool then J to create a layer  but unable to move that layer independantly. Very frustraiting.  Affinity seems to have hidden the 

magical secret of moving a layer independant of other layers 

Also transform tool does nothing 

Any heip would be greatly appreciated

Edited by richardnicole

4 hours ago, richardnicole said:

Any heip would be greatly appreciated

It will be easier to help you if you tell us which OS (Mac or Windows) & which Affinity app you use, & the name of each tool you are using that shows in the tooltip if you hover the pointer over it.

One reason for this is pressing the "J" key by itself is not a default keyboard shortcut for anything & there are several selection tools, so when you said you used "the selection tool then J to create a layer" it is not clear what you were doing.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi ersphoto,

Are you dragging the mouse over the images and selecting both images/layers on the canvas?

I noticed in photshop(my daughters school cc version) when you do this it only selects the top most layer but in Affinity it'll select both/all your layers & then move both/all at the same time.

Just check in the layers panel on the right that both are not selected and if they are just single click each layer or image.

Motto - STUPID HURTS!