Jump to content
You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keys to cycle through the different tools in the Tools Panel


Recommended Posts

Hi, does anyone know if there is a shortcut that would allow me to cycle, in the order they are in, through the tools in the Tools Panel?

I'm using a Tourbox and would like to use the knob+button to allow me to quickly cycle through the different tools I have setup in my Tools Panel, but I am unable to find the sequence of keys that would allow me to achieve this. Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, there is no shortcut that allows that. Each tool group has its own shortcut, and there's nothing that will walk through them all.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

    Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply.
Too bad it's not possible. It would be really helpful. One could customize the Tools Panel with only he tools they use for a particular workflow, and swiftly scroll through the tools without moving your hand around.
Something you see a lot in video games as well to cycle through the inventory. It's quick and natural mechanically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Curiousian said:

One could customize the Tools Panel with only he tools they use for a particular workflow, and swiftly scroll through the tools without moving your hand around.

You would spend a lot of time doing that customization, given that you can't save multiple setups.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

    Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You would spend a lot of time doing that customization, given that you can't save multiple setups.

But can't you do that via the Window > Preset options? For example, in AD 2 I have created 2 presets, each of which has a different Tools panel configuration.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2023 at 7:51 PM, R C-R said:

But can't you do that via the Window > Preset options? For example, in AD 2 I have created 2 presets, each of which has a different Tools panel configuration.

Thanks. I did not realize (or did not remember) that the Studio Presets also included the Tools panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

    Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.3, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2023 at 8:04 PM, Curiousian said:

Too bad it's not possible.

Set all Tools to single shortcut, for example "t"ools.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.3.1.2217
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.2506.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.2506.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the cool things you can do with the TourBox is to take advantage of the ability for it to have multiple presets for a single application.

Like I will have a main Designer Preset, and then a Designer [Paint] preset which is tailored specifically when I am using the Pixel Persona. You can set up a button that switches to the other presets.

As an example, the Dial in my Designer Preset is set up to Cycle Node Forward and Backward, this also will increase or decrease the stroke. I click the Dial and it brings up a custom menu of tools. But the Dial in my Designer [Paint] Preset has it set up to Rotate Left and Rotate Right the canvas and when you click the Dial it resets the rotation.

Another idea for scrolling through the tools is setting up a custom menu to a button. You click the button, the menu pops up and you either pick the tool with your mouse or stylus, OR you use the TourBox Scroll to move up and down the menu of tools and can press the Tall Button to choose the tool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scungio said:

One of the cool things you can do with the TourBox is to take advantage of the ability for it to have multiple presets for a single application.

Like I will have a main Designer Preset, and then a Designer [Paint] preset which is tailored specifically when I am using the Pixel Persona. You can set up a button that switches to the other presets.

As an example, the Dial in my Designer Preset is set up to Cycle Node Forward and Backward, this also will increase or decrease the stroke. I click the Dial and it brings up a custom menu of tools. But the Dial in my Designer [Paint] Preset has it set up to Rotate Left and Rotate Right the canvas and when you click the Dial it resets the rotation.

Another idea for scrolling through the tools is setting up a custom menu to a button. You click the button, the menu pops up and you either pick the tool with your mouse or stylus, OR you use the TourBox Scroll to move up and down the menu of tools and can press the Tall Button to choose the tool.

Yes, I saw the presets on the Tourbox website, but they are in other languages. Although I did some of the translation, the process is really too long.
What you are describing is exactly what I have in mind. I did set up a custom/context menu in Tourbox as you mentioned. I just need to work with it to figure out what feels natural to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is also very handy is the macro functionality with the TourBox. Yeah, Photo can do macros but Designer can't at the moment, but using it with the TourBox, you can do macros. I have a macro set up to do a Blob Brush, a macro that lets me do a Reflect like in Illustrator. Just endless possibilities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.