You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD workflow questions and issues

Hi all,

I am having some frustrations, which are probably due to my not knowing AD as well as I should ( I have searched and watched some AD videos thou), so I would like to ask for some help and clarification.

In the past, using AI, I was able to create my characters with the pen tool, not worrying about overlapping corners, etc... I would then click on the various custom brushes I have created and apply that stroke (and width) to specific line work. Then, I would expand all the line work and delete the extra (overlapping) pieces to create clean corners. Then using live paint I could color in the various parts of the artwork.

I have tried to do this in AD but can't seem to get the same workflow.

First, I cannot apply a custom brushes (meaning I created the taper) to the line work. I have to do it via the pressure tab where I have to save the profile. Is this the only way? And is there a way to save the width in the profile? I also saved a version of the "brush" in the "Styles" panel  but it did not give me consistent widths.

Next, after I created my line work, I used the "convert to curves" function, then Layer > Expand Stroke. Then I used the "Divide" function to create individual pieces so I could delete all the extra pieces. After that I marque selected everything and used the "Add" function to unite all the pieces. Which seemed to take forever with a larger piece.

Next, I went to the Pixel Persona to used the "Flood Fill" tool in the hope of coloring in the artwork but it doesn't work. The only way I got it to work was to rasterize it which defeated the whole purpose of trying to create a vector art piece.

I found a youtube video that shows my workflow almost exactly. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sPuXmTLBj4

The only way I found to do this in AD was to create different parts of the character on different layers and use the standard fill and stroke tools in the Draw Persona. Ten I switched to the Pixel Persona to erase the extra overlapping line work. Yes it does the job but takes considerably longer and if mistakes are made, it takes a lot longer to correct than the method I am trying to figure out. 

Can someone please help me figure this out?

First, I cannot apply a custom brushes (meaning I created the taper) to the line work. I have to do it via the pressure tab where I have to save the profile. Is this the only way? And is there a way to save the width in the profile? I also saved a version of the "brush" in the "Styles" panel  but it did not give me consistent widths.

Yes, it is the only way currently.

For filling purposes you need a vector shape behind each area.

No Live Paint tools yet...

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers