You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have activated V2 app(s) successfully but I'm still prompted to activate on app launch

Saw the above Topic Subject in the "Troubleshooting Affinity V2 Licence Activation Issues" area. I'm suffering from this, getting old to close one app, open the other, close that app open the other...

Don't see any resolution listed. I've reactivated every one of the applications more than once. Also experienced the issue where I can't activate one app while the other activated one is open...

Didn't see any of these problems while I was i using the trial license, since I paid I'm starting to wonder, I've had many issues. Was expecting a more robust product than this.

Please help!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

My first suggestion would be to check that you don't have a mix of installers used for the V2 applications. On Windows, all your V2 applications must be installed by the MSIX installers, or all must be installed by the EXE/MSI installers. You can't have some installed by MSIX installers and others installed by EXE/MSI installers.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt:

I'm certain I have a mixture. I originally installed all products with the MSI installer. After updating to the 2.1.0 using the MSI version of Publisher, I was having a problem that the old version opened with an error message about unable to open the file I have it open when launching (I think it said file was old), so I tried the .exe and that problem went away. So for all of my updates I've been using the .exe versions. So how do I fix this? $$$$ bet I have to uninstall everything and re-install 😞

Kevin

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

My first suggestion would be to check that you don't have a mix of installers used for the V2 applications. On Windows, all your V2 applications must be installed by the MSIX installers, or all must be installed by the EXE/MSI installers. You can't have some installed by MSIX installers and others installed by EXE/MSI installers.

Well, thats stoopid.

1 hour ago, ehrenkd said:

So how do I fix this? $$$$ bet I have to uninstall everything and re-install 😞

Pick the "flavor" you want to use: MSIX, or EXE/MSI.

Uninstall the other set of applications.

Then install any that are now missing, using the correct installer.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Walt:

Looks like that took care of it so far. I'll check it again in the next couple of days and confirm. I'd used the products before and I'm not certain what started the activation process that started all this. I had especially used Publisher quite a bit. Probably should let customers know this beforehand about the installer mixing, not intuitive.

thank you,

Kevin

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff
12 hours ago, Panchdara said:
13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Well, thats stoopid.

MSIX apps are 'sandboxed' by Windows OS - meaning that EXE applications can't directly access files in use by the MSIX app, including the license details.

This is why we don't recommend 'mixing' MSIX and EXE versions, as you will be prompted to activate if the app is unable to see the license file when it is already in use by the MSIX version of the app.

Unfortunately there's nothing we at Affinity can do regarding this, it's simply how Windows designed MSIX apps to function.

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Dan:

I do believe there is something that Affinity can do to help  prevent this from occurring. A simple statement "Please note: do not mix installers between MSIX and MSI for Affinity software (Designer, Photo, and/or Publisher) on Windows systems as this will cause activation problems and require removal and clean installation." inserted in the circled area might help prevent this. Thanks for your help,

Kevin

image.png.9c1d685538da28cd9f2d5f652d2a98fa.png

• Staff

Thanks for your suggestion! I've passed this through to our web copy team to request this is made clearer when downloading the EXE versions of Affinity V2 :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!