You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save for the web and color channels

sorry if others have asked these questions, i haven't found them in my looking through the questions and answers forum.

is there a way to do super small jpg web-compressions?  in the other software i have been using there is something called "save for the web"

and it allowe me to make really small saved images for web-use.  

also, i am looking for a way to open a "new image" and have color channels to drop b/w color stripped ( RGB ) files into.

i looked but couldn't find anything, and thought it was called something else.

thanks !

john

There are JPEG quality presets in the export settings & an estimated file size calculation you can use to see how large the file will be at different quality settings:

post-3524-0-23662000-1457368729_thumb.jpg

Keep in mind that the more you compress a file the less quality it will have -- fine details will be lost & things will begin to look blurry or have jagged edges.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

hi, 

thanks for your help !
i guess i am used to the easy way out

with the other program i used for years

where you just clicked on "save for the web"

and it compressed things super small.

after reviewing the video on saving

it looks like it will be a handful of steps,

do you think there is an easier way for me to do this ?

for example, i can save a 5x8 image as a 72dpi jpg at "10"

and it will be something like 150kb, but if i save it with "save for the web" it 

could crunch down to something like 40k ...  i wish there was a "pre-set"

because i HATE uploading images to various places ( website, blog & fora ) that 

aren't super small.

sorry to ask again,

but if i drag and drop an image in to color channels can i stack rgb channels as i 

am doing in PS ?  or are color channels not setup the same way in AP ?

thanks !

oK ...

i am getting closer i think,  ...

i found this tutorial for technicolor emulation ( 

) and it is great !

i import my own R G B "strips" the narrator  speaks about .. ( its just panchromatic film that is R G B filtered )

what i typically do is copy each imported file and drop them into their color channels.

with AP there are extra layers / channels when i go into channels,

would i paste my self made color strips ( R G B ) into the pixel layers or the channel layers ?

in other words, in the tutorial, the narrator makes his own color "strips" by making 3 pixel layers, and 

going into each color channel and removing the other colors, and adding CMY values ...

since i already have the stripped images ( b/w film exposed with  R G B filters  ) 

i dont' need to do those extra steps .. 

any suggestions what layer  / channel i drop my stripped color images ?

thanks !

john

ps.  after i posted this post, i cut and pasted 3 files from a bw >> color image i made
( and have converted successfully into a color image by other means )
into AP, but it didn't do anything but present me with a b/w image   :(