You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image Place tool defaulting to System 32 folder whenever restarted - AP 2.1 on Windows 10

Whenever I click the Image Place Icon/tool (AP only) the program opens the 'SYSTEM 32' folder on the C-drive.
This happens every time AF is restarted and has become annoying.
After navigating to my image folder on another drive the image place tool works normally and returns to the last folder used.

However, whenever AP is restarted the image place tool again defaults to the System 32 folder on the c-drive.
The problem was evident in version 2.0 and didn't correct after update to AP2.1

Image Place works normally in AD.

Is it a bug or is there a setting somewhere to correct the behaviour?

Thanks,
Ben

I have noticed that too

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

12 hours ago, BenVang said:

However, whenever AP is restarted the image place tool again defaults to the System 32 folder on the c-drive.

Mine does not behave that way, on Win 10 using MSIX, whether I use the Tool or the menu. It remembers the last directory I used (in some operation; not sure which operation).

After you've used Place, and navigated to the right directory, do you eventually Close Photo normally? If instead of a normal close it crashes, or you restart Windows without letting it close properly, it may not remember changes you've made to any settings.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 hours ago, BenVang said:

Whenever I click the Image Place Icon/tool (AP only) the program opens the 'SYSTEM 32' folder on the C-drive.
After navigating to my image folder on another drive the image place tool works normally and returns to the last folder used.

Image Place works normally in AD.

Is it a bug or is there a setting somewhere to correct the behaviour?

Thanks,
Ben

I run a small clipboard manager called ARSCLIP which will also handle some shortcuts. I just assigned one to my work folder and invoking it will paste that path in the file name box ot voila! I am in my folder

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

14 hours ago, BenVang said:

I've found it useful to use the File Explorer functions that allow you to pin a frequently-used folder to the left navigation bar of the File Explorer dialog. That makes it easy to navigate if the dialog starts in the wrong location. 

It's useful even when the app is remembering the correct last-used location, because sometimes I don't want that one. It might help you while you're trying to get your problem fixed, too.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

The issue also occurs for File > Open when that last location I saved a file to no longer exists (i.e., the folder was deleted) — the System32 folder is opened.

I thinks I’ve run into the issue when saving a file, too, but I can’t remember for sure.

Windows 10 22H2
Affinity 2.1

I have just discovered that AD defaults to System 32 folder the first time you EXPORT after opening AD.

In other words same problem as my Image Place with AP.

I cannot find a way to change the behaviour. Other suggestions most welcome.

4 hours ago, BenVang said:

I have just discovered that AD defaults to System 32 folder the first time you EXPORT after opening AD.

In other words same problem as my Image Place with AP.

I cannot find a way to change the behaviour. Other suggestions most welcome.

What about using Open, and other Save As? Are they remembering the last-used folder?

If none of them are remembering, what about other kinds of changes, such as to Settings?

-- Walt
PC:

Everything works normally once you have navigated to an image folder. Last folder opened is remembered, until AP is shut down and restarted. Then it goes to the system32 folder again.

There's no place in settings to set a default folder. I have used Serif products and window for many years, so quite familiar with quirks of both system and software, but this behaviour seems to have logical reason.

I'm not sure you answered my question, Ben.

Are all the File Explorer dialogs used by Photo being forgotten, or only some of them? Open, Place, Save As, Export, etc. Are any of the locations you've navigated to remembered across an AP shutdown/restart?

If they are all forgotten you may have a permissions problem somewhere. Or, alternatively, AP may be crashing rather than closing properly, which could be revealed (perhaps) by crash reports.

-- Walt
PC:

Ah, I may not have been clear here. It is in Publisher the problem occurs, not Photo.

And yes, all explorer dialogs work normally an last folder used is remembered. It is only first use of Image Place, after a restart, that defaults to the system32 folder.

I have been looking briefly at permissions, but can't really think of logical places to look.

I suppose it could be a conflict between APUB and another program's permissions. Hmmm.

Thanks for your input, Walt.

Ben

1 hour ago, BenVang said:

Ah, I may not have been clear here. It is in Publisher the problem occurs, not Photo.

It would be better, then, to say Publisher or APub or APu, not AP :) as AP is an abbreviation for Photo, not Publisher. (You should be able to hover your mouse over the underlined abbreviations here to see their meanings.)

---

It is interesting that it's only the Place dialog with the problem. I have no ideas for that one, and mine does not behave that way.

-- Walt
PC: