Sign in to follow this  
rdolmat

Move Marquee without cutting the layer

Hi there.

For the life of me I don't know how to draw a circle marque on a layer mask and then move and adjust it WITHOUT cutting the mask. Please help! In Photoshop I would create my own vignettes by making a black layer and then masking it with a feathered circle. And I can A) draw the marquee circle right in the center of the layer using modifiers (which I can't find with AP). and B) move the marque around freely without taking a chunk of the mask with it (which I can't find in AP).

heeeellllp :)

thanks! :D

A ) yeah, you can't draw out a selection from the center....... which is truly bizarre... and a big head scratcher when it comes to AP.

B ) if you have the Marquee tool selected, hovering inside the marching ants should change the crosshairs into crosshairs with arrow points and you can move the selection itself without the image section inside. 

I realize this is an old topic, but I just stumbled upon it.  You can draw a selection from the center with the marque tool.  Hold down the option key when you make your selection.  Couple that with the shift key if you want a perfect circle or square.

The way to move the selection without cutting is to make sure the cursor is outside of the selection, don't click directly in the selection or the cursor adds those little scissors.  Also you can add an empty layer and make sure it's active to prevent moving anything but the selection.