You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand stroke bug or user error.

Hello!

When I expand stroke in the doc attached I get the behaviour below.

When I copy the unexpanded stroked object into a new document it also results in unexpected behaviour.

Converting the star to curves before the above actions has no effect.

The document is more complex than this but I simplified it to the most basic representation of the issue. 

Is this user error or a bug? I have not experience this before AFAIR.

This is on the new 2.1 version, Windows 11. The document was started on iPad.

image.png.0206b5d5520023cd05d051e8f7002b75.png

image.thumb.png.c6cf2c7c597a9fbe99020814aad10004.png

example stroke expand.afdesign

12 minutes ago, BlueLiner said:

So I played with this a bit and found what you saw when the star's points were rounded. Simple fix is to convert the star to curves before you expand stroke.

Thank you this is the solution.

I had tried this, but retried after your suggestion and it does work. I had been troubleshooting before posting but was doing this outside the artboard so as not to change the original logo. When I convert to curves outside the artboard, it causes other issues with layer order which is why I thought it was failing.

I put this down to my user error. Thanks for your help.

I don’t think this is down to user error.

After a bit of experimentation I could see that:

• after resetting the rotation of the star and then expanding the stroke the problem got worse;
  • the bounding box looks to be the wrong size to me (or it’s just too early on a Saturday and I’m not looking at it right);
  • there is considerable ‘tearing’ when then star is moved.

See my attached video for examples. (Apologies for the stuttering recording, for some reason my recording software isn’t ‘playing nicely with others’ today.)

18 hours ago, MC909 said:

I put this down to my user error.

It's not user error, in my opinion, and it's not because of rounded points on the star.

The problems (both the view redraw and the result of expanding the stroke) are related to the contour by Contour Tool that is on the object.

If you copy the blue star object's Style to any vector object, the same misbehaviour occurs with that object.

I would expect Expand Stroke applied to a contoured object to first bake the contour into the object and then do the stroke expansion to produce a fill-representing object and a stroke-representing object giving the appearance of the original contoured stroked object.

The app currently is doing no contour baking before the stroke expansion, and then contouring each of the fill-representing object and the stroke-representing object.

In other words, a bug.

The solution of using Convert To Curves before doing the expansion produces the expected result because Convert To Curves bakes the contour into the object.

(The Bake Appearance button of the Contour Tool actually uses the Convert To Curves command behind the scenes - look in the History panel after clicking that button when an object has a contour).

6 minutes ago, BlueLiner said:

I have seen issues on smart shape strokes for sometime so have gotten in to the habit of converting to curves. If I think I might need to edit as a smart shape I make a copy first, then hide it.

You may have encountered issues with smart shape strokes, but the problem afflicting the OP happens with the stroke expansion of any contoured (meaning live contour from Contour Tool) object, even a straight line.

FWIW, this is an issue in both v1 and v2...

8 hours ago, GarryP said:

after resetting the rotation of the star and then expanding the stroke the problem got worse;

This is true in v2, though not in v1...

the bounding box looks to be the wrong size to me

The bounding box maintains the size of the pre-contoured shape, however, if you overlap a contoured shape with a pre-contoured version, while both individually maintain the same pre-contoured bounding box, collectively they adopt a new bounding box which matches the size of the contoured shape, I'm not sure I understand the logic of that...

there is considerable ‘tearing’ when then star is moved.

I'm certainly seeing screen redraw issue in v2 but not in v1...

but most definitely a bug...

Affinity Designer 2.3.1.2217 | Affinity Photo 2.3.1.2217 | Affinity Publisher 2.3.1.2217
Affinity Designer Beta 2.4.0.2294 | Affinity Photo Beta 2.4.0.2294 | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.4.0.2294

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8

• Staff
On 5/27/2023 at 6:35 PM, Hangman said:

On 5/27/2023 at 9:27 AM, GarryP said:

there is considerable ‘tearing’ when then star is moved.

I'm certainly seeing screen redraw issue in v2 but not in v1...

This is a bug that's logged with regards to the redraw issue when adjusting the contour on artboards, so i've just bumped the existing report. If the same is done on a standard canvas, the redraw shouldn't occur.

4 hours ago, NathanC said:

This is a bug that's logged with regards to the redraw issue when adjusting the contour on artboards, so i've just bumped the existing report. If the same is done on a standard canvas, the redraw shouldn't occur.

FWIW, I may be misunderstanding what is meant here but on my Mac running Catalina, I do not seem to have any redraw issues when adjusting the contour. Star contour .afdesignis the file I was testing with.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V23.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
On 5/30/2023 at 6:41 PM, R C-R said:

FWIW, I may be misunderstanding what is meant here but on my Mac running Catalina, I do not seem to have any redraw issues when adjusting the contour. Star contour .afdesignis the file I was testing with.

The original bug that is logged specifies the artboard needs to be a 'very small size' to cause the redraw issues with a file attached that is around 40~ pixels for W and H (Not sure what specific size before this starts happening), on OP's file If I make the star object and artboard significantly larger it does stop happening.