You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with Paint Brush Tool

Hi, I've had this problem with the paint brush tool with Affinity Photo V2 and the pixel persona in Affinity Designer V2: whenever I draw with the paint brush on the pixel layer, the drawings do not show completely on my screen (Please see the picture).

image.jpeg.6679d602ba49b0084a1a8d72b5440a88.jpeg

They only show completely once I zoom in (See picture).

image.jpeg.d4509f1550edeebd02010d1d9062ea9d.jpeg

And when I start the next drawing, this happen all over again.

Does this happen with every Affinity user? Or is that just me?  By the way, I use the laptop Lenovo Legion 5i and windows 11 for all the Affinity V2 programmes. Not sure if it has to do with my laptop settings?

What Brush are you using?

Check the Context Menu, to see if Protect Alpha is checked?

Can you provide a full screenshot, especially showing which brush is selected and the context toolbar?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 5/28/2023 at 9:18 AM, Lee D said:

@Yaoifeng Also open the apps Preferences/Settings > Performance and turning OFF Hardware Acceleration.

It may also be worth checking to see if your graphics drivers are fully up to date. 

@Lee D Thank you for your reply! I tried turning off the hardware acceleration but this lag with pixel paint brush still exist. What I've just found interesting is that this problem only occurs when I draw on a pixel layer which is placed inside an empty vector layer "Layer1" (Please see the image below):

image.thumb.jpeg.1cefca815984a06ced13c7c1d0031acd.jpeg

But if I move the pixel layer outside of the pixel layer "Layer1", the lag with the pixel paint brush will disappear (see the picture below):

image.thumb.jpeg.d4f6d26ffcef4f008bee3514cf655513.jpeg

This is a bit frustrating because I like to organise all my pixel layers inside of an empty vector layer to keep them in order. I wonder if this is a general bug with affinity designer V2, or it's just on my laptop.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:47 PM, Ron P. said:

What Brush are you using?

Check the Context Menu, to see if Protect Alpha is checked?

Can you provide a full screenshot, especially showing which brush is selected and the context toolbar?

@Ron P. Thank you for your message. Any paintbrush I use will cause this problem. And I didn't check Protect Alpha. Please see the screenshot below:

image.thumb.jpeg.4ecf0749754568ce1ee32df392310804.jpeg

Please try it without having the pixel layer inside a Layer. And if that still has the problem, please try it without the Artboard.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2023 at 6:37 AM, walt.farrell said:

Please try it without having the pixel layer inside a Layer. And if that still has the problem, please try it without the Artboard.

I am experiencing the same issue, and I can confirm that removing the artboard solves the issue.