You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer shortcuts: assign Command key to toggle Move tool instead of Node tool?

From previous software, I am accustomed to using the Command key (Mac) to toggle temporarily from the current tool I'm using to a broad selection tool, or to what in Designer is the Move (V) tool.  In Designer, Command will only toggle my current tool with the Node tool (A). I realise this may sound like a mere quibble, but at least in my workflow - especially when planning things out -  I'd much rather have the Move's tool broad selection capabilities as quick helper than the Node tool's detailed ones. 

I searched the Shortcut Settings but found no way to change this assignment, not even temporarily. The Command key seems to be fixed by default on editing Nodes.

There is no way currently to over ride this behaviour. 

However hitting v will toggle to the Move tool, and a second press will return to the previous tool. 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

I appreciate it's not a toggle but from any active tool, selecting V on the keyboard will alternate between your currently selected tool and the Move tool, so, hit V to select the Move tool, hit V again to revert back to your original tool... not quite what you're looking for but maybe a halfway house...

It would certainly be nice to have a preference setting where you could choose between the Node or Move tool as the toggle for the Cmd key... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Thanks for the tip! I actually had not noticed the second hit on V, I was going V-B-V-B etc 😁 Indeed this comes very close to what I have in mind (and what I rate as being a bit of a standard in many graphic and animation apps, like Spacebar for the Hand). Though it would be more my comfort zone if I could just press and un-press, I guess I can live with this :)

• 3 months later...

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I mostly alternate between Text and Move tools.  But if I'm text, and I press v to switch to Move, I get a v somewhere in my text.  So tired of this. Keep trying to escape to have no tool selected but that doesn['t work either. How do you use any of the tool shortcuts if you're in a text block??

43 minutes ago, John Springer said:

Keep trying to escape to have no tool selected but that doesn['t work either. How do you use any of the tool shortcuts if you're in a text block??

To me it works with the "Escape" key but it additionally requires to choose another tool, for instance "V" for the MoveTool.

In case you want to move the current text frame only you can just hover over the bounding box to get the temporary move cursor of the Text Tool.

textcursormove.jpg.97a11fb26ffecb12226d0066b77b7e6a.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

10 hours ago, John Springer said:

I have to hit escape twice.  That unselects the current tool

What app version are you in? – To me in V1 the Escape key never unselects a tool.
(I can not have no tool selected, even with no document opened)

While in a text frame a first escape may either unselect a current text selection or quit the text edit mode (-> blinking | bar in the text frame disappears), a further escape unselects the text frame but not the Text tool. So, if no character is selected (i.e. I see the blinking bar), then I can press any tool shortcut to switch the tool after the first, single escape already.

By the way, regardless of a tool, the Escape key can unselect any current selection (APub, AD: layer / APh: pixel).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

To me in V1 the Escape key never unselects a tool.

I think @John Springer means he has to do that to leave text entry mode in a text box, not to deselect a tool.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

OK.  You guys are right.  (I'm on V2).  Don't know how I got so confused.  I keep getting v's in my text from trying to switch from editing to text to moving something around.  Escape does get me out of edit mode, and that's where I was losing it.  I think I saw the frame still selected after an escape and thought I couldn't press v yet.  

I might be a proverbial old dog here... 😞

9 minutes ago, John Springer said:

I think I saw the frame still selected after an escape and thought I couldn't press v yet.  

I always press Escape twice because if I have some text selected then one press of Escape will deselect the selected text and I will now have the text caret active at the end of the previously selected text. See how after 3 presses Nothing is selected, not even the text frame.

ScreenShot2023-09-23at8_10_31AM.png.d91c49890aac1e5bd92e1f94efed4d7f.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.