You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where are "Decorations" documented?

I'm working on a 400-page book which has lots of numbered footnotes. The author is providing the footnotes so I don't need AFP to  generate them. The first footnote on a page needs a fine rule above it – perhaps 0.5pt extending from the left margin to, say, 40mm from the left margin. And, say, 3mm above the first line of text.

Since I can't find where these settings are documented, I've been starting from the (scant) examples in the AFP Workbook and modifying them using a process of trial and error. When I try to edit the settings (Text Styles > Decorations) of, e.g. the rule weight or its distance above the text below, AFP just crashes. Am I asking the impossible?

Have I missed the comprehensive explanation of these settings in the Help, or perhaps online? I'm fed up with watching interminable YouTube videos that all restate the obvious without answering my questions.

They are in the Notes panel in Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Welcome to the forums @grumpiestt

The software shouldn’t crash so that’s not a problem you have created and needs to be reported as a bug.

Typing decorations into the Help search box gives me the page in my first attached image as the first result in the list.

The documentation isn’t what I would call comprehensive but it should give you an overview.

My second attached image shows what I think you need to make the settings as, if I have understood you correctly.

image.png.e0dff5f12b2117631d8f227e2a8143a2.png

image.thumb.png.fd5a7453e2e0ebe2bc336e1365f07689.png

2 hours ago, grumpiestt said:

The author is providing the footnotes so I don't need AFP to  generate them.

If you don't have Publisher generate them for you, you'll lose the hyperlinking between the footnote reference and the footnote text. Just thought I'd mention that in case it matters, though I suppose it matters more for end-notes than for footnotes on a page.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you don't have Publisher generate them for you, you'll lose the hyperlinking between the footnote reference and the footnote text. Just thought I'd mention that in case it matters, though I suppose it matters more for end-notes than for footnotes on a page.

Thanks for pointing this out Walt.

But it doesn't matter in this case: it's a print-only publication.