You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 2 instantly crashes when file loads

Publisher 2.1.0 crashes as soon as this file loads. 

Other files don't crash, and I really really need to get back to work on this file if there's any way I can recover it. :(

i'm on Win 10. It initially crashed while I was placing a picture frame, after working for hours, and then I couldn't get back into it again. As soon as the loading bar fills, it crashes again.

I've tried hardware acceleration as on and off - same result.

I've uploaded crash reports, in case it'll help.

38b48a72-e854-415e-82b5-ee3c41d2fbf6.dmp e1167a62-610c-4ef3-bc28-ba92f21fbe61.dmp 066afbe6-0b7e-4578-822e-abdf4927fce1.dmp 3c8970fb-8c05-462c-9235-7b02ac1ec367.dmp 7d6b3cec-0cd6-46d8-90da-aa4eb61ac27d.dmp 73e8cb17-0963-448a-ab1f-523c68641137.dmp 5bcc40e1-1dc0-4439-9ac9-15f4b1d199b4.dmp de1272bf-81f9-41d8-bbd7-e8ca71596f11.dmp 173640c4-77d3-46d5-bf79-effff53159f6.dmp

Hi @jamjam and welcome to the forums,

Was there any error message when the file crashes or did Publihser simply quit.

Does the file contain linked or embedded graphics?

Are you able to upload the Publisher file itself so we can take a quick look. I can't make any promises but I can at least see whether I can open the file on Mac and if so resave it for you.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Hi @jamjam,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :) 

As Hangman mentions above, we'll need a copy of your Publisher document in order to investigate this further - if you'd like a private upload link for this file please don't hesitate to ask!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi @jamjam,

@Dan C will provide a private Dropbox link for you shortly where you will be able to upload your files so the Serif team can take a look at what might be causing the issue.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me, please upload your file(s) to the following link for me -

https://www.dropbox.com/request/5PA2aFENG6AjkmCGxkns

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here as we have been closed over the past few days due to a national holiday here in the UK & many thanks for your file provided!

I can confirm I'm seeing the same crashing issue when opening your document and using the tools available to me I have been able to recover most of the file - it appears the issue causing this crash on load is on page 28 & 29 - therefore the document I've been able to save is page 1-27, then pages 30-363.

I have returned this repaired file to you through Dropbox, however I will also be logging this with our development team for further investigation, to see if we can determine the exact cause of this crash and stop it from occurring in the future. If they are able to recover the full file, I will be sure to update you here.

I hope this helps :)

Hey, it happened again. 😅 But I have a backup handy so I don't need a rescue this time lol.

Here's a step-by-step:

Page 25, I placed a Picture Frame in the middle of a page that overlapped a Text Frame full of text

Set the Text Wrap settings to Jump

The Picture Frame wasn't quite where I wanted it (needed to cover the entire lower half of the page) so I moved it down and grabbed a corner to stretch it over the rest of the Text Frame and footer elements I have - and it crashed mid-stretch.

- I tried again and to be cautious I moved the elements out of the way first before placing/stretching the Picture Frame and the issue didn't repeat. I was placing Picture Frames just fine with the prior method on other pages before the crash though. Just wanted to share this in case it's helps. 👍

• Staff

I'm certainly sorry to hear this, though I'm glad to know you had a recent backup.

I've updated the development log for your file with this information in the hopes it helps our team to further identify this issue - many thanks for letting us know :)