You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Incorrect SVG rendering

The Affinity suite appears to have some incorrect fill colours for shapes in SVGs output by Adobe Illustrator, but opening the .ai file directly doesn't have the same issue (although the output is still incorrect due to lack of support for gradient meshes). The SVG also renders correctly in web browsers and it's fine when re-imported into Illustrator.

Could you please let me know how I can send the source files to Serif to have this checked out? I think it's the same issue described in this post, but I'd like to avoid posting the files publicly.

Thanks!

Environment:
Windows 11 22H2 (22621.1702)
Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v2.1.0
Hardware acceleration ON (Intel Xe integrated graphics, Nvidia RTX 3060 mobile)

Adobe Illustrator 27.5 (latest Creative Cloud)

Hi @AcrobaticMelon,

It's quite possible that the SVG file output from Ilustrator contains CSS styles which are defining the colours used. Affinity apps don't currently support CSS styles which may be the reason why you are not seeing the incorrect colours when opening the SVG.

If you open the SVG in a text editor you will be able to quickly see if this is the case. Failing that feel free to upload a file here so we can take a look.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

On 5/30/2023 at 11:58 PM, Lee D said:

@AcrobaticMelon Have you tried @Hangman suggestion of checking to see if the SVG contains CSS styles which may explain the difference in colours.

The file does contain classes and it looks like it's the same problem as the other post where having multiple class declarations causes Affinity's SVG parser to misbehave. Having a single class with duplicated rules seems to work but it's not a great workaround for more complex documents which aren't as easily processed by hand.