You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have recently purchased Affinity Photo and started to play around with it in the last couple of days. It's a great software and I am still learning the ropes, but I have run into an issue that I have been unable to solve so far.

I have an image of winter mountaineering in Glen Coe that shows moderate purple fringing which I have attempted to reduce as described in one of the official video tutorials, but none of the methods work. Whether I am working with a live filter layer or through the Filters => Colours => 'Chromatic Aberration' or 'Defringe', the amount of fringing does not change in the slightest, even when applying the latter several times. The fringing is both prominent and in stark contrast to the surrounding areas, so should not be difficult to remove for any software.

I have made sure my layers are selected properly (ignore the fact that in the screenshot they're not) and have not managed to find any solution via Google or this forum.

Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong? Screenshot attached.

post-28132-0-41948300-1457192222_thumb.png

Try bringing the threshold down, it's the brightness value which defines when the effect is applied. If you set it high it does not effect much.

Thanks, that actually made quite a difference! However, while some of the fringes where almost completely removed (e.g. edge on the leg on the left side) some where hardly affected (refer to right side of the attached image).

But it should do. The fringing isn't too intrusive and my primary reason to tackle it was because I am editing the snow slope, person, and sky separately via selections, and the fringing made it harder to accurately select the areas without getting halos later.

post-28132-0-37197200-1457197339_thumb.png

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

I'm having the same problem with Photo 2. I'm trying to defringe a 32bit image and regardless of what parameters I choose nothing changes. There's a very notorious purple fringe in high contrast edges. Sampling the color also didn't make a difference. I remember doing this with the previous version of Photo, also on 32 bit images.