You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 2.1.0 export image with transparent background to .png or .jpeg broken (working in 2.04)

Vector images that were exporting fine with v2.04 are giving a problem with v2.1. The transparency option for background is checked in the Document Setup, and the image correctly shows the transparent background in Designer. While exporting, the preview and the resulting exported file have a white background. It is transparent for other export options. See screenshots...

Since the /.png and .jpeg are frequent used, common formats and required for our websites, is there a way to get this emergency patched, assuming it is a minor fix? 

thanks in advance.

image.thumb.png.6c863d9876ae0e88f0310669ca8121cb.png

image.thumb.png.27aa76eafcde4585ea1f96577de5ddfa.png

I'm on Win 11. Though that should not make a difference as v4.04 was on the same HW/OS, and it worked fine WRT this functionality. It is also happening to files that were previously exporting fine in v2.04 and a simple open and export in v2.1 should work. 

Also tried changing the Matte setting. To the contrary, clicking on the transparent option did nothing. To test, I changed the color, and then could not change to transparent again, though it will change to another color. Saving and reopening the document preserves the selected color at the time of save - so there is no way to get rid of it. short video enclosed. 

Also tried:

- Selecting ICC profile - no joy. same error as above.

- Clicking on the Swatch color panel transparent  selection -  no joy. same error as above.

- New document. no joy. same error as above. (see video with a square diagram).

I understand others may not be having this issue, so it [I guess] could be something in the upgrade process. Mine was updated with the in-app "A new version is available. Do you want to update?" prompt.

thanks again for all your help.

• Staff

Hi @Milo_D,

Thanks for your report!

I can confirm that our team have been able to replicate the following:

1. When using the Preset Export settings for PNG, TIFF etc, the Matte will be correctly set to transparent, and exported as such - this is why some users are not experiencing this issue, as they are likely using the built-in presets only.

2. When changing any of the 'Advanced' Export settings, the Matte will now apply with the last set colour (usually white), rather than transparent to the exported image. This is incorrect and should remain as transparent - though technically the UI is now correctly displaying the exported Matte colour.

3. After changing the Matte (or having the Matte automatically set as above), the transparent button in the Matte pop-out dialog does not work, meaning you cannot return to a transparent matte, without selecting one of the default presets.

4. After changing the Matte (or having the Matte automatically set as above), and selecting an Export Preset, the UI does not correctly display the Matte as transparent and instead displays the previously set Matte colour (usually white)

5. Using the Swatches option in the Matte dialog, you can manually return the Matte to transparent with changed Advanced settings.
    Once the Transparent option has been set, the next time you change the Matte colour this will ignore your selection and force change to 255,255,255 white. 
    The next colour selection after this then works as expected.

I have logged all of these issues with our team and we hope to have these resolved ASAP. Our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences caused due to this.

In the meantime, there is a potential workaround - after changing the Advanced export settings as required, open the Matte dialog and change the drop-down menu to Swatches.

Here, you should see one of the default swatches on the right is 'no fill' (ie transparency). Selecting this 'no fill' should return the Matte to transparent and the UI should reflect this:

In my testing, this allowed the Advanced options to be changed and the Matte to export as transparent, but please do remember the Matte option must be selected last for this workaround to work.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your report @patrick_h_lauke!

I've 'bumped' this issue with our developers for you now, in the meantime you should find the above workaround allows you to continue to export with a transparent matte.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "PNG with Selection Only shows white background after toggling Embed ICC profiles" (REF: AFP-6164) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.1.1847".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Welcome to the Affinity Forums @TC Conway :)

47 minutes ago, TC Conway said:

Can anyone verify if you can export SVG with a transparent background?

SVG as a format does not support a 'Matte' or background colour - by default this is always exported as transparent in any areas where no objects exist, or objects that have a transparent fill, therefore all SVGs have a transparent background when exported, which can be verified in the Export Preview within Affinity - 

image.png

However depending on the application you are viewing the exported SVG in, this may not appear as 'transparent'. You can verify an SVGs transparency by reopening the file within Affinity once exported -

image.png

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

Many thanks!