You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2 does not retain font formatting

If I have a string of text with a certain format, and select all the text and paste a new string of text to replace it with Command+Option+Shift pressed, the app should replace all the old text with the new text, and the new text should inherit the old formatting. This is the expected behavior but the app does not do it. If I do a regular paste the text is replaced, but it does not retain the formatting.

Hi @gwilensky and welcome to the forums...

This is certainly working as described on the desktop version of Photo 2 on macOS for both Command + Option + Shift + V and for the regular paste so unsure if there is a bug on the iPad version...

I'm sure someone else will be able to test as well to confirm if they see the same issue you are seeing... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

16 minutes ago, Hangman said:

This is certainly working as described on the desktop version of Photo 2 on macOS for both Command + Option + Shift + V and for the regular paste so unsure if there is a bug on the iPad version...

I'm not sure what you mean by "working as described". Described where?

But equally, I'm not sure what @gwilensky means by "the new text should inherit the old formatting".

If the old text was a mix of styles (fonts, weights, sizes, colors, etc.) there's no way I can think of that the newly pasted text could maintain all those styles.

I would expect all the pasted text (with paste without formatting) to take on the characteristics of the first character of the old text, and I think that is what I see happening.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

He meant as I described it, Walt. The way it's supposed to work is if I have a string of text in Helvetica 60, Bold that says "Old text" and I select all the text and paste a new string of text I have in the Clipboard that says "New text" using Command+Option+Shift+V, then what I should end up with is a string that reads "New text" in Helvetica 60, Bold. Hope it's clearer now.

Edited by gwilensky

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "working as described". Described where?

Described as in the Edit > Paste menu, where the default keyboard shortcut for Paste Without Format is shown as Command + Shift + Option + V...

But equally, I'm not sure what @gwilensky means by "the new text should inherit the old formatting".

As in, when the new text is pasted without format it should maintain the formatting of the original text, not the new text being pasted in it's place, which is exactly what it does on the Desktop version...

If the old text was a mix of styles (fonts, weights, sizes, colors, etc.) there's no way I can think of that the newly pasted text could maintain all those styles.

I don't believe that's the expectation in as much as you could have more or fewer differently formatted words in the original vs newly pasted text but when pasted, it does as you suggest and adopts the formatting of the first character which is again also my expectation...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

4 hours ago, gwilensky said:

He meant as I described it, Walt. The way it's supposed to work is if I have a string of text in Helvetica 60, Bold that says "Old text" and I select all the text and paste a new string of text I have in the Clipboard that says "New text" using Command+Option+Shift+V, then what I should end up with is a string that reads "New text" in Helvetica 60, Bold. Hope it's clearer now.

Thanks.

First: There is no shortcut documented for Paste Without Formatting for Photo 2 on iPad. It would be nice if there were one, and if it matched the desktop, but from the documentation we don't know if there is one, or what it should be.

However, from some experimentation, I can see that in Publisher the shortcut for Paste Without Formatting is Cmd+Opt+V on the iPad.

Unfortunately, Cmd+Opt+V doesn't work for me in Photo 2 on iPad.

Finally, for now, I am getting very confused about this: I am finding that in Photo 2 on iPad, using Artistic Text, Cmd+V which I expect to be a normal Paste, is usually acting as Paste Without Formatting. That is, it is retaining the formatting of the old text when the new text is pasted. 

I cannot explain that at all, except as a bug. I do not have this problem in Publisher 2 on iPad.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks, Walt. That must be a bug, for a number of reasons. First, Ctrl+V is not regular paste. That would be Cmd+V. Second, for some unknown reason, Ctrl+V does not do anything for me on an iPad with latest Photo 2 and iPad OS. It's weird it's doing a paste without formatting for you.

2 minutes ago, gwilensky said:

First, Ctrl+V is not regular paste

Sorry; typo on my part, now fixed.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi @gwilensky,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can confirm I have been able to replicate the following:

• In Affinity Publisher iPad, CMD + OPT + V pastes without formatting, but I would expect this to be CMD + OPT + SHIFT + V
  • In Affinity Photo iPad, CMD + OPT + V or CMD + OPT + SHIFT + V do not function

I will be logging the above with our devs now.

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I am finding that in Photo 2 on iPad, using Artistic Text, Cmd+V which I expect to be a normal Paste, is usually acting as Paste Without Formatting. That is, it is retaining the formatting of the old text when the new text is pasted. 

However I'm not seeing the above behaviour in either Artistic Text or a Text Frame - in copying part or all of a word (using CMD + C) then pasting this into a different Art Text / Text Frame object, the characters are pasted, retaining the formatting they were copied with.

Am I missing something with your report here please Walt?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

@walt.farrell, my apologies, in further testing I have actually found the following -

19 hours ago, Dan C said:
  • In Affinity Publisher iPad, CMD + OPT + V pastes without formatting, but I would expect this to be CMD + OPT + SHIFT + V

In Publisher iPad, CMD + OPT + V pastes inside as expected. This shortcut is also currently set in AFP & AFD and works as expected.

In all iPad apps, CMD + OPT + SHIFT + V is not mapped to Paste Without Formatting, but should be. This has also been logged with the team.

19 hours ago, Dan C said:
On 5/23/2023 at 11:36 PM, walt.farrell said:

I am finding that in Photo 2 on iPad, using Artistic Text, Cmd+V which I expect to be a normal Paste, is usually acting as Paste Without Formatting. That is, it is retaining the formatting of the old text when the new text is pasted. 

However I'm not seeing the above behaviour in either Artistic Text or a Text Frame - in copying part or all of a word (using CMD + C) then pasting this into a different Art Text / Text Frame object, the characters are pasted, retaining the formatting they were copied with.

I have since been able to replicate this, with CMD + V in both Photo & Publisher and CMD + OPT + V in Publisher - it appears to be a an inconsistent trigger when copying the text, the formatting is not copied - leading the paste to appear to work as 'paste without formatting'. This is simply a bug with copying text and I have logged this separately as such.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!