You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug Publisher Print out on both paper sides

I have a document with portrait and landscape pages. The printout is on both sides. The landscape pages are rotated clockwise. If the same document is exported to PDF and printed with Adobe Acrobat, the pages in landscape orientation are rotated counterclockwise. Turning on the short side is not effective, as otherwise the even-numbered portrait format pages would be upside down. An option to define the rotation direction of landscape pages is missing.

A document to show the effect in attachment. The arrow show always to the top side. Print out in Publisher: Top side ist on the right an footmarks on the left.  PDF Print out: top Side is on the left.

Ausrichtung Ausdruck Test.afpub

• Staff

Hi @erdi12,

Thanks for your report!

I've tested this using your file here and unfortunately I don't understand the issue being reported.

Firstly I printed your document from Affinity Publisher, using duplex long side printing;

• Page 1 has the footnote on the left, arrow up,
  • Page 2 (on the back of 1) has the footnote on the right, arrow up.
  • Page 3 has the footnote on the left, arrow up,
  • Page 4 (on the back of 3) has the arrow pointing left, with the footnote in the top right.

I then exported the document from Publisher to PDF using the '(for print)' preset and exported this from Acrobat, using duplex long side printing.

The resulting print was exactly the same as from Affinity directly, as outlined above.

Have I missed a step in your report, or can you provide further information for me please? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Affinty Publisher prints differently for me:
  • Page 1 has the footnote on the left, arrow up,
  • Page 2 (on the back of 1) has the footnote on the right, arrow up.
  • Page 3 has the footnote on the left, arrow up,
  • Page 4 (on the back of 3) has the arrow pointing right, with the footnote in the bottom left.
If I map one of the portrait master pages to the landscape master page:

Page 4 (on the back of 3) has the arrow pointing right, with the footnote on the top stand upside down. I printed another such document where I noticed this behavior.

I've searched the settings and can't find anything about it. After a PDF export and no other settings changes in the printer driver, 
etc., the behavior is as described above. With me, even the printout from Publisher is different from yours.
I use windows 11, a Canon inkjet printer and Affinty version 2.1

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me and I'm sorry to hear this - can you please provide a screenshot showing your Print settings from Affinity, and the 'Advanced' printer driver settings that you use when this occurs? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I found another hidden option in the printer driver. Under Maintenance - Custom Settings, 
there is an option: Rotate landscape pages to the left. This option is disabled by default. 
After activating this option, page 4 will be rotated. My guess is that Publisher sends each 
page with portrait or landscape information to the printer, and Acrobat renders the document 
and sends all pages to the printer in "portrait" orientation. 
In Acrobat, the printer option has no effect on the orientation in the printout. 
So the problem is solved for me, the information is certainly helpful for other users with the same problem.

Canon Druckertreiber Seite 4.jpg

Canon Druckertreiber Seite 5.jpg

Canon Druckertreiber Seite 6.jpg