You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo: "Crop to opaque" in Develop Persona?

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to work on my RAW image development workflow and I'm struggling with two problems.

The first problem is that there's no automatic lens correction in the Develop Persona. While I appreciate that by default the image isn't heavily treated by the automatic assistant, I still think that doing lens corrections automatically would greatly improve the workflow. I'm working around this by using presets for certain lenses and zoom factors. However, saving a preset isn't a good way to solve this problem because you would have to create several presets for a zoom lens and still could only cover discrete zoom steps. Automatic lens correction would solve this problem. If any of the developers are reading this: please add the possibility to use lense correction. Cheers!  :)

The more serious problem which causes quite long interruptions of the workflow is to properly crop the raw image that has been lens-corrected. Especially when working with wide angle lenses you get quite a severely concave image with transparent areas on top & bottom and left & right. In the panorama tutorial for AP 1.4 there's an option called "Crop to opaque" (timestamp 2m30' in the video) in the crop tool. However, I don't seem to find this option in the crop tool in the Develop Persona. I might be missing it but if not, I really hope that this features gets introduced to the Develop Persona because it would be really really useful, especially if it would work together with the option to keep the original aspect ratio of the image. The magnetic alignment tool doesn't help because it doesn't snap to the visible edges of the image. Any hints how to facilitate the cropping are highly appreciated.  :)

• Staff

Our developers are hoping to add Automatic Lens Correction in the future. You're not missing anything. Crop to opaque is only available to the Crop Tool in the Panorama Persona. Feel free to add your request for the Crop to opaque to be added to the other Crop Tools in our Feature Request section :)