You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Single Click VS Double Click

Could anyone help me? It's been 3 weeks that Affinity Designer has been acting weird regarding the Single Click vs Double Click situation. Usually, you'd have to double click to be able to select an element inside a group, but in mine, a single click is not selecting the whole group anymore, and rather the single element inside the group. For me to be able to select groups now, I have to select them in the layers group instead, and it's giving me a real headache. I thought version 2.1 would help, but it hasn't made any difference.

Is there anything I can do?

A new option was introduced for the Move Tool in 2.0 called "Allow selection to consider items inside a group" which controlled this sort of thing.
For example: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/173381-selecting-group-not-working/

For some reason, with 2.1, it seems to have gone – I can’t see it on my Move Tool Context Toolbar in Designer 2.1.

I haven’t been using 2.1 for very long so maybe someone else can explain how it works now.

I wonder when they decided to remove the Allow selection.... ?

I'm not sure if the Auto Select is what replaced it, but enabling it by checking the box, then choosing one of the options, Default, Objects, or Groups may get you what you need. Disabling the Auto Select, and you can not select anything on the canvas, you must use the layer stack. 

EDITED: FOUND IT

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I would like to know too as it was quite useful.

I looked at Auto Select in the Help but I don’t think it’s the same thing; I think Auto Select is about what can be selected from the canvas as opposed to the Layers Panel, or something like that (maybe I should look in the beta threads).

Allow selection to consider items inside a group was removed from 2.1 and replaced with the Auto-Select dropdown options...

• With Objects selected from the dropdown it will selected objects within Groups
  • With Groups selected it will select the Group, i.e., the Parent Object
  • With Default Selected, holding Cmd (Ctrl) and single clicking the object on the canvas will select it

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

With a bit of experimentation I think I’m starting to ‘get it’ now.
I probably just need more time to get used to it.

I think the information in the thread that Ron P. linked to above gives more information than the Help.

bntbntbnt: I think it's the Auto-select function which you need to look at.