You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using an AD program on my MacPro and my laptop

I've looked everywhere to find if I can use my same Affinity Designer program on my MacPro (where it is now) *and* on my laptop or should I buy another copy. The price being what it is, I'm ready to buy another copy if necessary but thought I'd at least ask.

For almost three decades I've been through the mill with Freehand and Illustrator, and now AD is a huge relief—easy to use, versatile, great forum that actually offers tremendous help and very open to new features, even in this early period of development. Hats off!

Hi.

You can download 5 copies of Affinity if you are logged into the app store with the same apple id.

Just go to the Purchased tab and download. No need to pay.

Isn't it fantastic? ;)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

From the App Store Help topic "Manage app purchases and subscriptions"

Install apps that you purchased on a different computer
You can install apps that you purchased with your Apple ID on different computers.

Note: Be sure that you use the correct Apple ID. To update an app purchased from the App Store, you must use the same Apple ID that was used when it was purchased. If you don’t have that Apple ID, you might need to buy the app.

Do any of the following:

• Install from your account in the App Store: Sign in to your account in the App Store, click Purchases, then install apps.
  • Copy the app: Copy the app to your computer. (For example, you can copy the app using the AirDrop feature in OS X or an external storage device.) Then open the app. If you’re asked to sign in, sign in using the Apple ID you used to purchase the app.
  • Automatically download apps: Sign in to your account in the App Store. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click App Store, then select "Automatically download apps purchased on other Macs.”

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You can download 5 copies of Affinity if you are logged into the app store with the same apple id.

I know the MEB & others have said there is a 5 copy limit but according to Mac App Store: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) there is no limit for personal use:

"Apps from the Mac App Store may be used on any Macs that you own or control for your personal use."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

To clarify my clarification, I think it is a good idea to check whatever the Apple FAQ page says about this for whatever country you are in, because there may be differences in different places, & maybe to consider it factual only after somebody from Affinity confirms it.

That said, I don't know where the 5 copy limit comes from. Apple used to sell its apps & OS versions in "single user" & "family pack" versions, the second of which included licenses for up to 5 family members. But that is no longer true, & now "Family Sharing" (which Affinity apps allow) has a 6 family member limit.

Affinity Photo